1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FE to Secondary

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by blueskiesmev, Jul 6, 2019.

1. blueskiesmev

blueskiesmev New commenter

Hello everyone,

I'm currently a GCSE maths resit teacher (also FS, some A Level and engineering maths units) and considering a switch to secondary.

I've been in my role for a while now and fancy a change.

I've visited a school (not applied) and they seemed very keen and interested that I might like to teach physics as well (due to my degree).

Obviously I have some apprehension about moving to a school because of stories about behaviour and workload etc.

I have QTLS, any advice/information would be appreciated.

2. creeves3

creeves3 New commenter

I moved from secondary to FE - not because I didn't like secondary but was relocating and looking for a part-time post which happened to come up in an FE college nearby.

I have found FE a lot easier in terms of workload, I literally just teach and have a tutor group. I am not working nearly as long as a used to. This might be because the college I am at has excellent support systems so I am not dealing with all the extra stuff non-teaching stuff you get in a school. I was at a particularly challenging inner-city school, I am sure not all secondary schools are so intense. We had many, many meetings each week and were dealing with a lot of student issues like behaviour, detentions and parental meetings.

However, I have also found that FE doesn't have the same sense of community and teamwork you get in a school. I miss the energy and atmosphere of a secondary school - never a dull moment! Plus the age range 11-16 keeps things interesting. Only teaching 16-19 can be a little boring. However, your behaviour management strategies need to be on point in secondary and you need to have lots of positive behaviour strategies - don't expect them to just do as you say because you are telling them to! If you are willing to be open-minded and take on a new challenge, secondary is incredibly rewarding. I would consider returning in the future, but at the moment I find FE a lot more flexible in terms of part-time work.

I also think there are more career progression opportunities within secondary, particularly for a good physics teacher!