1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FE to Secondary Teaching

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by common-sense, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hi please can someone help me I currently teach FE animal studies but would like to go into teaching biology at schools. I have a HND in animal management with a heavy science background, Certificate in Education and Level 2 English and Maths. I have also applied to achieve QTLS status would a school employ me?

2. Hi please can someone help me I currently teach FE animal studies but would like to go into teaching biology at schools. I have a HND in animal management with a heavy science background, Certificate in Education and Level 2 English and Maths. I have also applied to achieve QTLS status would a school employ me?

3. Hi
    To teach in a state-maintained primary or secondary school you will need to have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Teaching is a graduate profession, so you would also need to be qualified to degree level, or have qualifications that are considered to be the equivalent to a degree by the Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course providers.
    Your HND should contain Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme (CATS) points which can contribute towards a degree, so you might want to look into ways of topping up your existing qualifications, either through a local university or college, or the Open University.
    The government recently announced that from April 2012, people who have achieved QTLS status will be able to teach in primary and secondary schools, however it has not yet been confirmed whether a degree would still be required. With this in mind you may want to wait for further announcements about this initiative.
    I hope you are able to find a suitable route into teaching, and that you go on to have an enjoyable career teaching biology.

Stephen Hillier, TDA