1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FE to school anyone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by partan, Sep 20, 2016.

1. partan

partan New commenter

Hi,

I've gone from FE teaching for quite a few years to now being in a school and am feeling completely overwhelmed. I've been here a while and have chosen to simply 'get on with it' as best I can but am beginning to really struggle within my department. I have a first class degree in my subject and have a great track record but can't find people to talk to / run ideas by and am trying to teach top sets with high expectations from the school and parents.

Any advice? Please help!

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They're too busy! They employed you because they wanted to leave you to it. It's September. They've a million and one things to do.

You're not challenging the students? Go faster. Do more each lesson. Make it tougher. Give them more homework/research to be prepared for next lesson.

That's what I loved about teaching. Paddling my own canoe. Having my own domain. Queen of my own realm. I think most schools work that way. Yours may be one of them.

If you enjoy a more collegiate approach you will have to say so. You may even have to introduce it. Depends on your school/department. But I will warn you that you may meet resistance.

Be honest. Spit it out. Say what you want. And best wishes.

needabreak likes this.