1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FE Teacher Training advice needed!

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Ariellerose, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Ariellerose

Ariellerose New commenter

I am due to start a PGCE in the life long sector this September. I have a few questions if anyone can offer any help or advice.

1. Alongside the PGCE I have to work on upgrading my English and math GCSE to a C. Do people think it is feasible to them at the same time or will the workload be too much?

2. Can anyone recommend, anything I will need once I start the course (stationary etc) and anything I can do to prepare over the summer? I have found other threads similar to this but they are all targeted at primary or secondary teachers.

3. Clothing does anyone have any advice of what to wear when teaching in fe? (I'm female and teach art and design)

4. I'm dyslexic and have ADHD, are there any other teachers that have learning difficulties and does it impact you as a teacher?

Thank you for any help anyone can give.

2. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

Are you doing the PGCE over one or two years? The PGCE is famously intensive and a trial by fire for some. If you have teaching experience already and are doing it 'on the job', it'll be easier.

1 - The GCSE English (can't speak for maths) is surprisingly intense as it stands, but as you know you'll be doing it you could do a lot of work early and reduce your workload later. I would really recommend at least getting a revision guide and workbook, or even a tutor, to help you understand how it's marked and what the objectives are. If you've been to university before, you will probably be fine.

2 - All I needed for mine was something to write with and something to write on and a folder. A couple of board markers to shove in your bag are a good idea, though your workplace or placement should really provide those. In practice, many teachers buy odds and sods but they should be provided.

The library provided all the books I needed, and the online library provided ebooks above and beyond what I could have wanted.

3 - This will likely differ enormously between colleges and there is recognition that one size doesn't fit all. At my workplace, it's fairly relaxed. Smart but not job interview smart.

4 - I can't answer for myself, but I do know that we have at least one autistic member of staff, one or two deaf lecturers and I'm sure we have dyslexic lecturers too. Where I work, it seems quite supportive.

3. philip_pownall

philip_pownall New commenter

I graduated in July 2017, so I m in my first year, so here is what I found....

1. You won't be able to do anything along side your PGCE. I found it an extremely busy year. You will be studying and on your placement. You have to prepare lessons for your teaching practice and reflection. Then you will have your assignments, so I doubt you will have time to study something else along side this. Try and get maths and English done before you start.

2. Folders, make sure you are fully organised. all my lecture notes where kept in your book and I kept them chronologically.
    Get a book called 'learning theories simplified' by Bob Bates. This will be your bible!

3. You should wear what you would in your industry. I teach animal management, so I wear jodhpurs, wellies (not to teach in theory) etc.But you would need to check your placement codes of conduct.

4. I'm dyslexic also, does not affect me in the slightest. Make sure you fully understand that dyslexia doesn't affect what you learn, just how you learn it. You can do anything everyone else can. No excuses.

Hope this helps, need more advice please be in touch. Also have a look at my blog. This may help you with learning theory and resources.

4. Ariellerose

Thank you for your reply's. I have also spoken to other tutors I know and the General consensus is that the pgce with the GCSEs at once will be too much, so unfortunately I'm having to defer my pgce entry for a year while I do the gcse night classes.

It will be a 1 year pgce.

And the dyslexia, adhd hasn't effected me in teaching and studying so far, but I used to be a beauty therapist and I know I faced discrimination in that industry, so wanted to check it would effect my teaching. it was also things like checking work and writing up presentations that I was worried about as I do sometimes mix round letters or have random words mixed in lol.

Thank you for the help and advice and will take it on board over the next year to prepare.

5. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I don't see how anyone can even be accepted for a PGCE without English and Maths. My course demanded at least 5 GCSEs above a grade C. I think a grade 5 English and maths will be required - not a grade 4 which is considered to be a pass. You will also need to be demonstrating Literacy and Numeracy in your lessons. I believe that the days of universities accepting undergraduates without English and Maths are now gone/fast disappearing too. Which, in my opinion, is a good thing.
    You could try to enroll on a DETs course at your local college but colleges usually require English and maths before they will let you enroll. It may be possible to do English and Maths alongside CETs/DETs. You would have to ask.

cys2017 likes this.
  6. philip_pownall

philip_pownall New commenter

With your learning difficulties, you might need some electronic programmes to help you. What I have found is that I don't read dyslexic and I can notice any spelling or grammatical mistakes, but not in my own writing.

cys2017 likes this.
  7. Ariellerose

Saluki I have already been accepted without the two GCSEs. but I need to have them by the end of the course.

My subject area is for art and design in fe. Never once did my tutors demonstrate maths and engish, fair enough for secondary teachers, but I personally don't see why it's needed in fe.

Xmas8888 and cys2017 like this.
  8. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Well done on getting an offer.

The workload is intense not going to lie, especially when the teaching starts which is usually a few weeks in. I have just completed mine like 3 weeks ago. You will feel relieved after! It’s a difficult journey but not an impossible, and in the end every bit of it is worth it

You will need a diary because it will be to many things just to make one standard list or using your phone might not be convenient. An arch lever folder will also be useful. Try looking at cpd courses on the future learn website they area really healful!!

If it’s art and design I’d personally wear something colourful and creative but still professional.. sometimes in fe you get away with wearing dark jeans but I baisically looked at what other people in the department were wearing. So I would say go formal first and then adapt once you know.

My university mentor had dyslexia -make sure you inform the uni of any additional needs as they can allocate you extra time to complete assignments etc.

Good luck -have fun - enjoy the journey x

9. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

If you don't see why English and Maths are needed in FE you are very naïve. Your lesson plans will ask how you are demonstrating literacy and numeracy in your lessons. You will have essays to write which will demand a standard of literacy similar to that required at degree level. And once you are qualified you will be amazed at the amount of spreadsheets and trackers which you will have to complete, not to mention marks, grades and percentages.
    Or maybe my college was different to other colleges.

cys2017 likes this.
  10. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

We are all teachers of English and maths, this is both a reasonable and necessary expectation for good quality teaching.

cys2017 likes this.
  11. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

It is one of the teaching standard to embed English and maths into all teaching