1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FE teacher considering retraining in primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by curlyclaire35, Jul 15, 2015.

1. curlyclaire35

curlyclaire35 New commenter

Hi all.

Having achieved a PGCE in post-compulsory education over 10 years ago, I now find myself considering if I should retrain as a Primary Teacher and gain QTS. I only taught in FE for about a year doing Study Suppport,small group and one to one teaching, as well as some short stints teaching ESOL. As my subject is KS3-5 English, and I wanted to see if I could manage whole class teaching, I was able to get lots of supply work in secondary schools but ultimately, this convinced me that this age group really isn't for me. I sensed I might have been better off teaching primary aged kids, ideally at KS2, and as a way of getting experience have done about a years' worth of TA work in various schools. I keep contemplating applying fo Teach Direct, for the Primary programme, but I am hesitant because one of the worst aspects of being a teacher for me was that the planning ate into my life far too much. I am in my early 40s and as well as not being as consumed by career as I was when younger, I feel I want more life/work balance, and worry that re-training and becoming a primary school teacher will be perhaps even more pressured than that of other sectors because of the broader curriculum. IWould appreciate advice from older primary teachers as well as those who moved from either the FE or secondary sectors. Another factor is that I would like to move to Europe in a few years, and feel I am more likely to find work in International schools as a primary teacher than an FE teacher. Thank you.

2. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I'm in my 50's and became a primary teacher (upper KS2) when I was 40. I'm also looking for another job because teaching has changed so much since I qualified and is no longer the job I signed up for. We have become more like sales reps; given impossible targets to reach with no pay rise unless we reach them. The children in my class leave school happy, confident and ready for secondary whether they've 'exceeded expectation' or not. I work a 60 hour week and most of my Sunday is spent planning. I'm permanently knackered and worried about whether or not I'm doing a good enough job, This is just my personal take on it and I know it's the last day of term so I'm tired and emotional. Think carefully; you are already aware of the demands of the job and are hesitant because of it. The job WILL eat into your life; fact. Personally, I've had enough but I've no doubt there are plenty of teachers out there who would disagree with me. Good luck in whatever you choose to do xx

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I will just give a little warning about trying to retrain in Primary, Your comment "as well as not being as consumed by career as I was when younger, I feel I want more life/work balance, and worry that re-training and becoming a primary school teacher will be perhaps even more pressured than that of other sectors because of the broader curriculum." is exactly correct.

Primary teachers have so many subjects to juggle and will seriously eat up time incl. weekends. rarely can you re-use planning and each year needs a lot of preparation during the hoildays, hence why I'm currently on the computer and TES!

4. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

I transferred from secondary to primary several years ago. Planning is excessive in primary as you are planning for multiple subjects each week and you only get half a day per week in school to do it - hence having to spend evenings and weekends working. I prefer to do day to day supply as the planning is done for you, which gives me more of a work/life balance. Good luck!