1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FE - Looking to jump career in 2 years

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Crofty1984, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Hello all,
    I'm interested in becoming a further education teacher/lecturer. College/adult education/prisons, that kind of thing. For a variety of boring and grown up reasons I'll not be in a position to make the move for a couple of years. I'll also be working full-time.
    I'm interested to know what I should be doing now to put myself in the best position when the time comes. If I need to spend 2 years studying in the evening I might as well start it now.

A bit about me - I'm currently 35 - a sales engineer and have been in engineering over a variety of disciplines forthe last 12 years. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering from a decent uni, but I got a poor grade (although I did pass). Surprise, surprise I'd be looking to teach Maths, Science, Engineering type subjects!
    I've been told about a level 3 introduction to teaching FE course that's 10/12 evenings. Mostly for the networking opportunities so I'd be tempted to leave that until I'm closer to "the move". But maybe that's wrong of me.
    Unfortunately money is an issue - I've looked at bills/spending money/mortgage, etc and would really need to earn about £35k fairly soon. It's a heck of a pay cut from what I'm on now but I realise it's hardly pennies. How realistic is that?

I did go to an open day at my local college last year but if I'm honest it took the wind out of my sails a bit. I left with the impression that in their eyes if person A has a first in baking, he's perfectly qualified to teach science, but if person B has a degree in engineering and a decade of industrial experience, plus some STEM volunteer work, he's not even getting let on the training course because of his grades 15 years ago. No offence to any bakers! I certainly do not have the figure of a man averse to baked goods.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

With no teaching experience, no qualification and a weak degree it isn't realistic at all to expect to reach the top of the qualified lecturer pay scale quickly.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.