1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FE lecturer pay negotiation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by leighshields, Mar 22, 2016.

1. leighshields

leighshields New commenter

Hello,

Since September I have been teaching at an independent FE college on a 0.8 - this coming September I have been offered a full time contract and would like to know if anyone has experience negotiating the terms when accepting such an offer - namely, would requesting a move up the pay scale be appropriate?

Thanks you for any responses

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'd say that a request is fine. They obviously want you (well done on the FT contract) so remind them of all of the things they want you for. Just remember that FE budgets have been pared to the bone and any potential knockback doesn't reflect badly on you, it just means the pot is empty.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You absolutely MUST ask.

Enumerate in writing all the extra responsibilities you anticipate you will incur in addition to the extra day at work.

Go for it.

IF there's money in the pot and IF they badly need you then you'll get it. Supply and demand. If you've exceptional skills then you would deserve it.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  4. leighshields

leighshields New commenter

Thanks for you for your replies - I will go with the 'if you don't ask, you don't get' approach!

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

That's definitely the approach to have :)
    Fingers crossed for you.