1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FE Induction/Training?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by justttamyyyyy, Nov 20, 2015.

1. justttamyyyyy

justttamyyyyy New commenter

Hello all,

I'm looking for some help/advice from new teachers to the FE sector.

My main question revolves around what training is provided once employed as a teacher in FE for the first time.

I am yet to secure a job in my subject area (Art and Design - Fine Art/Photography) and have been working in a secondary school as a department technician, so no teaching involved.

If I decide to gain QTLS:
    1) is this actually going to benefit me?
    2) will this act as nqt training?
    3) if not - do you get training when you're employed for the first time? Similar to the school induction year. Is there an FE equivalent?

I'm just worried that once I start applying for jobs in the new year when there should be more available that I'll be expected to manage everything on my own, when in fact I know I'll need help.

I've emailed by old PGCE mentors with these questions but have never received a straightforward answer.

Thank you for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

In the FE places I've worked there hasn't been an NQT equivalent. Having a pgce was seen as being a qualified teacher so people were just expected to get on with it. The only concessions were an extra 1 hour free period per week and a mentor for the first half term to deal with induction.
    The induction just dealt with the various policies and systems.
    New teachers had to rely on their HoD for subject specific info but were, as qualified teachers, expected to manage most things on their own.

QTLS will benefit you if you decide to try your hand at secondary teaching but doesn't have parity with the nqt year that school teachers do.