1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FE A level teacher pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by purpletealeaves, Jul 22, 2020.

1. purpletealeaves

purpletealeaves New commenter

Hi guys,

I have an interview next week technically to bump my part-time job to full time for Septemeber 2020. Now the salary they are offering (as discussed with Principal) is lower than the M1 scale shown on UCU / pay calculator.

Are colleges / sixth forms exempt from following the payscales if they want to? Or should I question this is I get the offer? (another thing to keep in mind is I was offered a non-teaching support role on the same wage as this position... now I'm not sure if location determined this but it doesn't sit right with me.) I'd rather teach my subject than support.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My understanding is that STPCD only applies in LA schools, not academies (although many use it) or HE. So they can pay you whatever you agree to. You can ask for more, and you might get it, but they might refuse leaving you to decide whether to accept the lower offer or look elsewhere. Teaching has become like many other jobs - initial pay is by negotiation.

3. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Welcome to FE I am afraid. They have less funding thatn schools, but also tend to blow a lot of funding on additional admin/marketing personnel which further drains their budgets. Teachers in FE get paid a lot less, but they also get a lot less of a burden for data/tracking/parents/tutoring/etc compared to school teachers. Definitely swings and roundabouts.