1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FCSE - French and German

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by chriszwinter, Dec 31, 2010.

1. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

<font size="3">I'm in my second year of doing it Here are some thoughts based on that experience.</font> <font size="3">Pros:

2. Random175

Random175 New commenter

It does improve motivation. It makes the teacher emphasise the importance of the verb, time phrases and tenses. However students do not need adverbs or adjectives or connectives to get level 4 5 or 6. There is little need to know anything about conjugation of verbs. However it does make it possible for the very weak to get a level 4 and a certificate which makes them feel good and proud about their language learning. On balance good to introduce for KS3 and does provide assessment material across all four skills which are independently verified so reliable as far as SLT and Ofsted are concerned.

3. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

Into our 3rd year of doing it - I would definitely recommend it, especially for lower sets in Year 9. (Higher ones can manage Asset)

4. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

We're thinking of introducing FCSE for KS4 pupils who do a reduced MFL timetable (weak set). Would it work with this age group (2 lessons a week)? I see that AQA claim it is a suitable qualification at this level as well as at KS3.

5. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I think it would work very well. What might also be a real bonus is that a distinction (level 6) is equivalent in performance table points to a D at GCSE, a merit (level 5) is worth an E and a pass (level 4) is worth a bit more than a G - so this would all help with A*-G figures.

6. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Is that really true about the level 4 being just more than a G?

7. chriszwinter

8. Hi, we've been doing this for 3 years now. You chose 3 units and there are levels 4, 5 and 6 listening and reading tests and a writing and speaking test par units. So i understand when the kids feel like they do tests all the time. What we do is that we start in Y7 and finish in Y9. It gives us more time to get it done without doing tests all the time. However, the way the writing and speaking is marked only focuses on verbs, so they don''t need to use adverbs and connectives... The writing is only a list of sentences. If the verb is spelt properly and you can understand the rest of the sentence, it will be considered as correct. For me this is the biggest problem, it makes the use of the language rather poor.
    On a more positive note, it does motivate y9 to carry on working. Some of my students have also picked MFL for KS4 because they did very well at the FCSE. It gave them confidence.

9. Sol22

Sol22 New commenter

Hi there,

I have two questions here:

1. Would it be suitable for Yr8 high achiever? (we do not have Year9)- Scholars
    2. Is there any certificate you would recommend for my low ability Year 8?We do LFA (Language for All) for SEN and they have a reduced timetable. It would be nice to give them a certificate at the end of Yr 8 but it has to be veryyyyyyyyy basiccccccc.

Thank you

10. chriszwinter

1. Yes. We used it with two year 8 groups in French last year. 89% of the pupils got level 6.
    2. Why not try FCSE with your weakest students? If not, AQA's ELC gives accreditation.
    You need to see your exams officer about entries as soon as you can after half term.

11. How many hours do you reckon you need to teach to FCSE standards?
    I will have next year roughly 30-35hrs for a second language with my Yr9 over the year (yes, only 1hr a week) and I contemplated doing this exam. Is is doable in this amount of time?
    Thank you, M

12. Random175

Random175 New commenter

No I would not say so! You need to have everything sorted and sent for the end of May. However there are short FCSEs available listening and speaking or reading and writing. The main problem is the time taken to carry out the speaking assessments. If you complete the full FCSE you will have 12 assessments to complete in under one academic year and your pupils will feel like they are on an assessment treadmill.

We found it difficult when we started to complete the qualification with our brightest first language learners in two hours during year 9. We now start in year 8.

13. Thank you for this Random, very helpful and put things in perspective!

14. I can't seem to get these links to work, are they still working ok or is it me?
    Thank you for posting x

15. Can anyone help? I entered some students for both GCSE and FCSE and they got an E at GCSE, but a Distinction in FCSE (equiv. to D), can I just ignore the GCSE result and count the FCSE instead?

16. I'm a first year teacher and am teaching FCSE Spanish to my top set Year 9. They have two hours a week. There is no help available at the school and I'm finding it difficult to organise a good scheme of work - does anyone know where I could find one? Any tips on useful resources would also be gratefully received!

17. Hi and sorry to ask, but as you've got the experience you may be able to tell me how much time you timetabled for the FCSE in your school.

We are thinking about using it in Year 10/11 for weaker students. Do you think that 5 x 50 lessons per fortnight would be enough over two years? Or would they finish the course well before then?

Thank you so much for your reply on this.

18. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

We have two 1-hour lessons a fortnight for weak KS4. It's fine, as long as you get going promptly in Yr 10 and aim to get the first assessed topic completed around Christmas/January.

19. That would be plenty to complete the course. You can cover a number of topics and then choose the best results for each of your students.