1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite year to teach and why?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by perky_panda, Apr 29, 2012.

1. I teach year 4/5. Have got a class with lots of behaviour problems! I got offered year 3/4 for next year but I chose to stay put as looking at the classes they will be a right pain and my new ones have some problems but not as many. Feel like I have made the right decision short term but maybe not long term as I now have been in the same year for a number of years. Just wondering what everyone's favourite year group to teach was and why? Thought it might help some other people having to decide what year to teach or getting told their new year group for September.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I had only had year 5 and up for 15 years, then went to year 2 this year. I love it and never ever want to go back to KS2. However can't say that year 2 is my favourite because I've never had year 1, they might be better but I doubt it.

Year 2 are soooo keen and so enthusiastic and make so much progress and understand about learning as well as playing and are just so darn nice!

3. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

I think there are a lot of factors which makes a favourite year. I taught mixed 5/6 for two years and it was a logistical nightmare what with sats prep etc plus the kids were not particularly pleasant. Then I had year 5 for a year - again nightmare class but I loved them. I also had a fantastic year partner and we taught some fantastic topics that were such fun and the kids got so much out of them.
    Then I went to year 3. When I first started, I found it hard to adjust as they were particularly low ability and not very independent. By the spring term though I had grown to love them and saw amazing progress as they got older and more able to cope with the work. However I was bored mentally. There is only so many times I can teach number bonds to 10 and 10 more and 10 less before I go a little stir crazy.
    Now I am in year 6 again and am loving it. yes there is the pressure of SATs but if you get the kids on side it is really not that bad. I have way more freedom in terms of planning as I don't follow the frameworks so can teach what I want when I want and although I have not done much topic stuff up to now, I have a whole term of fun stuff after. I am challenged every day by my level 6s in the class and I love the continuous questions that they come up with and the way that they view the world. TI know everyone hates year 6 as the kids are getting a little 'boisterous' or 'rude' but I truly believe this is down to the way they are handled by their teacher. None of my classes have ever been like that and nor will I let them get like that in the future

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've taught every year except Y5 and they all have something to offer (although at heart I'm a reception teacher )...I've loved my last two years in Y2 and will miss it next year.

5. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

My favourite was a 1/2 mix. The year 1's are a bit shell shocked when they realise its sooo different from reception, but having Yr 2's really helps them notice the time that is set aside for planned play. They just make such enormous progress. Lots are only just getting to grips with reading/adding etc yet when they leave to go into yr 3 they are beginning to write thre paragraph storirs in joined up handwriting and calculating with all four operations. Oh yes and they think you are the queen!