1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite work by Roald Dahl

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Jul 9, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So the BBC has been making some noise about the centenary of his birth coming up and Hollywood has the BFG coming out soon [though it isn't doing too well at the box office in the USA]...

What's your favourite Roald Dahl... adult or children's book?

Danny Champion of the World.
    .. loved this one as a kid...

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Roald Dahl 's work has never appealed to me - I may be in the minority here !

stupot101, rosievoice and lanokia like this.
  3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Matilda every time. I read it hundreds of times as a child and I still love it.
    My son's favourite is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - he absolutely loves it.

lanokia likes this.
  4. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

I liked some of his "Tales of the Unexpected",but can't remember the exact titles.( I'm hearing the theme tune for the TV adapatation in my head whilst writing this!):)

peggylu likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's odd because I'm hearing the tune as I read that post... :D

peggylu, stupot101 and mathsmutt like this.
  6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

The only Roald Dahl book I was ever able to finish was Matilda. I thought I was the only person in the country indifferent to his work. I couldn't even bear to read them aloud to pupils.

7. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Spooky!:confused:

8. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

I'll never get that tune out of my head all day now:D

mathsmutt likes this.
  9. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

I only really liked the 'Tales of The Unexpected'. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is ok.

If you do like Tales of The Unexpected, then you should read Patricia Highsmith's Little Tales of Misogyny. :)

peggylu and mathsmutt like this.
  10. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Thanks, I'll give this a go.

11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I like reading them aloud. There's a nice rhythm to them and the vocabulary isn't dumbed down. The Magic Finger was always my favourite as a child.

lanokia likes this.
  12. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

In order of childhood scrumptiousness...imo...

The Twits
    The Witches
    James and the Giant Peach
    and
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

lanokia likes this.
  13. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

My little girl and I really enjoyed The Twits. There was a scarecrow festival last summer about 10 miles from us and someone had put the Twits in a tree with the birds - brilliant!
    I agree about the Magic Finger. I remember my brother, sister and I being given a box set of Roald Dahl books (although I thought he was Ronald, like my grandad). They were never big readers so I worked my way though all of the them and the Magic Finger was my favourite.

As a teenager, I always liked the Tales of the Unexpected - The Man from the South is a good one.

Such a good choice! The Giraffe,the Pelly and Me. Esio Trot! The list goes on...

lanokia likes this.
  14. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

I love The Witches - I read it over and over again when I was younger, well before the film came out. Quentin Blake is also exceptional. I can't think of a Roald Dahl novel without remembering the Quentin Blake character illustrations :)

15. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

Matilda has always been a favourite.