1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite story books?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JU3fromLeics, Feb 20, 2016.

1. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

Which books do you enjoy reading with your class?

Are there any activities linked with a story that you would like to share?

2. JU3fromLeics

Peace at Last by Jill Murphy works well as the children can participate with sound effects.

Also like Goldilocks as the children can role play the characters.
    "Hot seating" works well with this story where one child role plays a character and others ask questions.

There are a range of beanstalk stories which work well with a planting topic including Jasper.

Kipper's Toy box by Mick Inkpen is also a favourite.

3. buzzylizzy

buzzylizzy New commenter

Elmer the elephant.

4. buzzylizzy

buzzylizzy New commenter

This is the Bear is a book most children enjoy.
    It works well with rhyming activities.

There are also other books in this series.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I love 'jack and the flumflum tree' by julia Donaldson. One of my all times fav stories

6. sensorysurvivor

sensorysurvivor New commenter

The Children at my previous setting loved 'The Book with No Pictures!' by B. J. Novak. Very funny story and encourages both the staff and children to use their imagination when the book is being read.

dljames2013 likes this.
  7. JU3fromLeics

The Gruffalo is a good book to read and share if you want to focus on building up a description of a character.

8. swotter

swotter New commenter

Someone suggested Pete the Cat a few years ago. I have used this book and Pete the cat and his buttons. We do lots of PSED and maths with these books. if you google utube you can see the author performing the books. They are American but my setting has loved them. There is also a utube video of Pete the Cat dancing. You can buy the puppets too.

9. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Lots but there is one I never miss:
    Where the wild things are

10. LKGreaves1992

LKGreaves1992 New commenter

We love the story of the Gruffalo, Room on the broom, and we're going on a bear hunt. After we have read the story and questioned the children, they go off into little groups to role-play it. A couple of children have made a map to use when role-playing the story of we're going on a bear hunt :)

11. JU3fromLeics

Bear Hunt is a good story for including actions in.

I like the idea of doing follow up role play.

12. JU3fromLeics

Works well with colour themes and animal themes.

13. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

One Snowy Night from Percy the Park Keeper series - and other stories from this series.

Winnie the Witch (if you are allowed witches) - the story where she turns her cat, Wilbur, into different colours. (I love Korky Paul's pictures!)

Ahlberg's Each Peach, Pear, Plum and Peepo - I really like the rhymes, rhythms and illustrations - lots to look at and talk about.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The Very Hungry Caterpillar...timeless and fabulous

15. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's the bear! (Jez Alborough) is one I love - there are two or three more related books.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Shirley Hughes is a genius and her Alfie books are works of art.

17. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

18. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

KIDS by Catherine and Laurence Anholt. I have never got bored of this and it has beautiful drawings and is so rich in its opportunities for discussion and engagement.

19. doctorinthetardis15

doctorinthetardis15 New commenter

Mix it up by Herve Tullet is a great interactive one. Also love The Foggy Foggy Forest by Nick Sharratt