1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite soup recipes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Chris4, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Chris4

Chris4 New commenter

I have just 'discovered' making soup and am really enjoying trying out new recipes. I especially like spicy soup, but would be really interested in what everyone's favourite soup recipe is. So far, my favourite has been spicy roast butternut squash (following the recipe on the Waitrose website). Any other suggestions would be lovely!

2. Spicy parsnip and apple [​IMG]
    Roast parsnips with cumin and chilli flakes, add quarted, cored and peeled apples after about twenty mins, until everything soft. Blend with vegetable stock, add a can of coconut milk to the blended mix, re-heat and serve. Regular quick term time supper with cheesy toast.

3. Not a massive fan of parsnip but this does sound good!

I think I like beetroot soup is yum.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

5. As I have just lucked into an incredibly cheap Covent Garden Soup recipes for a year book I am finding a new fave almost every day!
    It was £25, down to half price and then an extra 10% (which was taken off the full price) so that made it 25 to 12.50 minus 2.50, so down to £10. Then we found that I do have a Ws card and that it had £7 on it! So £3 for daily inspiration! Yummy!!

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

I confess I am not a soup lover, but.... the rest of my family are!
    current faves:
    leek and potato
    parsnip and carrot
    (left over) roast veg [pots, carrots, parsnips, sweet potato] with curry paste
    bacon and lentil

all made with home-made chicken stock (I seem to produve at least 3l per week!)

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

personally (as a non soup lover) I like Stilton soup or (at a push) stilton and broccoli

8. I love soup!
    Current favourites include:
    Spicy sweet potato (or butternut) with canneleni (sp?) beans
    Thick pea and ham
    Lentil (with and without bacon)
    Thick veg and barley
    Spinch and pea
    Sprout
    Parsnip

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

French onion with cheesy bread.
    Spinach, watercress and rocket,
    Minestrone.
    Chicken noodle with pak choi and mushrooms.

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Mr BS loves watercress - made with leeks and potatoes.
    My favourites are:
    Roasted butternut squash with chilli served with a sweetcorn & coriander salsa.
    Celeriac with roasted garlic.
    I am a big fan of roasted veg!

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

...me too - I just generally see no need to reduce it to a mush that you need a spoon to eat!

all these combintions sound good flovourvise ------------ I just do not like soup!!

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The best soup I have ever eaten/drank was a carrot soup in restaurant in Brugges. There was a ham flavour in it and just the right balance of other ingredients. I've tried to recreate it on countless occasions but never quite succeeded. Almost every ham bone I've bought in recent years has been used in making stock for something similar. One day it will happen by magic and I'll twig what the chef did.
    Sadly, until then, I have to live with what I can do with the skills I have.
    French onion soup is fab. We need a lot more of it. Simple to make and it's a testiment to the standard of **** cuisine our restaurants generally serve it rarely appears on the menu. I'm almost tempted to cook some now. In fact I might, just to prove something.

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I had a lovely soup at my friend's mum's house over Christmas. I think she said it was Hugh F-H's chilli & butternut squash (or sweet potato?). I'll see if I can spot it on the River Cottage website for you, Chris.

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I love soups of every kind, but I suppose these must be my favourite, given that they aqppear in our house most often:
    Cawl (a Welsh broth with either lamb, gammon or both, with leeks and lots of other veg)
    Potato and Leek
    A Thai style broth with noodles, lemon grass, chilli, lime juice and fish sauce, plus whatever veg/fish/meat - great for when you've over-indulged the day before, or are feeling grotty
    Roasted tomato soup
    Good old fashioned chicken soup, for when you're feeling delicate
    Pea and ham
    A rib-sticking Minestrone
    And, when it's scorching hot outside, an ice cold gazpacho

Also, I have absolutely no shame at all in admitting this at all, but there will always be a place for Heinz Cream of Tomato in our house! Home-made cream of tomato can be very good indeed, but I see no sense in trying to replicate something that already tastes perfect to me! Best eaten with white toast, under-toasted and over-buttered!

16. Chris4

Chris4 New commenter

Thanks for that one, Manashee! Also the rest of you for the wonderful ideas - I can't wait to start doing some more soups. I don't know why I haven't before, as I like cooking. I think it's maybe that I tried once with a recipe that just took so long it was an ordeal and didn't seem quite worth it at the end. Recently though, it's all gone really well and been quick and simple. I think recipes are definitely getting better these days, myself. Nick, my OH would definitely agree with you about the Heinz tomato. Whenever he is ill or feeling sorry for himself, that's what he eats - he feels it has magical healing properties!

17. Oh, I am a soup addict (Pobs, I also love the Covent Garden books)
    My faves include(heck, this could take a while)
    Lentil soup (with brown lentils)
    Spicey red lentil soup
    Butternut squash chilli soup
    Potato and leek soup
    Tomato soup!
    Graupensuppe (this is a veg soup made with leftover meat and pearl barley - a bit like Scotch Broth?)
    Gulasch soup
    Oxtail soup (don't make that often enough *makes note to self*)
    Curried pear soup
    Parsnip and ginger soup
    Broccoli and cheese soup
    Cheese soup (made with leeks and mince - have posted the recipe somewhere)
    Pea soup (have lots of different versions with different kinds of peas)
    Minestrone
    Thai coconut soup (my own concoction)
    Beetroot soup
    Roasted pepper soup
    French onion soup
    Chicken soup (usually add broken up spaghetti to that)
    Chickpea and spinach soup (a variance of my chickpea and spinach curry but with more liquid)

18. Oh and bean soup (again lots of different versions)

19. Ditto!
    I do make tom soup myself but I LOVE Heinz Tomato Soup. It reminds me of being a kid and I always make sure I bring a couple of tins back with me.

20. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Ooooh! I'm another fan of home made soups. Have loved what I've read so far.
    I like to roast butternut squash and red onion and make soup from that.
    Hope the ideas keep coming!