1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite Shakespeare play to teach?

Discussion in 'English' started by CrunchyMcFlurry, Feb 10, 2012.

1. And why?? Although I'm not a teacher yet, I think it would be brilliant to teach Macbeth [​IMG]

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Can't bear all the soppy love stuff. Give me Richard III any day of the week.

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

Much Ado because I love Beatrice and Benedick: so modern and so witty after sloppy Romeo and Juliet.

4. I can't teach the same play for two years in a row without hankering after something different. So, for Year 9, I go for 'Julius Caesar' and (and would do 'Twelfth Night' if my faculty would buy me a set). But I don't teach Y9 often enough to get bored. For GCSE my choice is from 'Macbeth', 'The Taming of the Shrew' or 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. Toying with doing 'Henry V' - haven't taught it for about 10 years, it might be time for it again.

5. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Much Ado About Nothing - love it!

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Macbeth works with most classes, I find. Do Romeo, Richard III, Much Ado and Merchant depending on the group. A good production or DVD so important.

7. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

Although I've not had the chance yet I'm looking forward to teaching Hamlet for A Level: such an amazing play.
    What I love about Shakespeare is that every time you teach the same play, as tedious as the repetition might be, you get something different out of it. After teaching Macbeth last year I know I'm going to take a different angle on it this year which will hopefully give me something new to focus on, even though it's the same play.
    I think it's a shame though that we always stick to the same ones: Romeo & Juliet, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream. I wonder how many schools teach Two Gentlemen of Verona, A Comedy of Errors, or Anthony and Cleopatra...

8. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Yet to find a good version of 'Richard III'
    That said, it's years since I've seen the Bardathon one.

9. Agreed! I imagine it would be amazing to teach Hamlet to A Level.