1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite picture books for age 4-7 by british authors

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teacher1974, Jun 16, 2011.

1. The Gruffalo / Tiddler / Room On The Broom / Monkey Puzzle / One Ted Falls Out Of Bed - basically anything by Julia Donaldson!
    My two also love Some Dogs Do by Jez Alborough

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I like these books and use the French ones a lot ins chool.

http://www.little-linguist.co.uk/category-108/page/0/

Some are not by English Authors, but are definitely popular books for English children.

4. Antony Browne books are amazing, every picture within them has a whole story in itself, his books are incredibly deep and are fantastic at getting kids to 'read a picture', studied one of his books in depth for part of a Children's Literature course I did and I was blown away by how much his pictures add to the story, even without using the few words in them they are great!

5. Thread title sounds like a Little Britain Sketch

6. Pretty much anything by Lauren Child (Charlie and Lola). my favorite right now is "But I am an Alligator"

I also love Emma Chichester Clark and her Blue Kangaroo series.

7. What about Daniel Postgate? The Hairy Toe, and Smelly Bill are both great. The hairy toe is particularly good.