1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite Phonics Teaching Games & Activities?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by barang, Aug 23, 2019.

1. barang

barang New commenter

Hi everyone.
    It's been a long time since I last taught year 1 & 2 phonics, but I've recently been asked (told) to take some phonics groups in phase 3 for these two year groups. Fortunately, each group is small (max of 10 children). But I really don't have many fun games or activities that I know of and can use at short notice.

I would love to be good at, say 5 or 6 great spelling games.
    Could anyone recommend a website or a pdf download? Or a YouTube channel?

What are your favourite, go-to, low-prep, phonics spelling games and activities?

Really appreciate the help. Thanks

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If they are still phase 3 in year 1 and 2, they are very behind and will need some fast and effective teaching.
    Games may not be the way forward.

Phonics play has some interactive online games.
    50 fantastic ideas for phonics is a book with some fab bits, but geared more to reception.
    Lots of flashcard repetition and using small versions of the letter cards to make words with the known sounds will help enormously.

What phonics scheme does your school use? What is there that you can use from that?

1 person likes this.
  3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Get a plastic splatter for use in class, kids love it! They can splat the sound that you say.
    Also play hide and seek with visual phonic sounds around classroom to get them moving.
    Even my Y3 loved stuff like that with present and past tense verbs etc
    I've observed some amazing sensory phonics sessions e. G. Sounds written on balloons, bean bags, pebbles/balls for a phonics treasure hunt

4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

If they are still at Phase 3 in Years 1/2 you will have to consider why and factor in those needs. Without knowing what they are it’s difficult to say (eg are they new to English, SEN, neither but missed a lot school due to medical issues etc?)