1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite orzo recipes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Feb 23, 2011.

1. This is mine : Mushroom and orzo soup
    • 200g peeled and sliced onions (approximately two medium sized onions)
    • 375g Desiree potatoes, peeled and cubed 2cm
    • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
    • 2tbs olive oil
    • 200g field mushrooms, sliced
    • 100 button mushrooms, sliced
    • 160g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
    • 1 clove of garlic, crushed
    • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    • 100g chorizo, cut into 1cm pieces
    • 100g orzo pasta
    • 125ml white wine
    • 1.2L vegetable stock
    • 1tbs chopped chives for serving
    The most difficult task of this recipe is the preparation of the ingredients, it takes a bit of time, so pour yourself a glass of wine and take your time. Peel the onions and slice them through the root, like a cake, into thin slices. Peel and dice the potato into 2cm cubes and cut the chorizo sausage into 1cm pieces. Cut all the mushrooms into wedges as per the onions and crush the garlic.
    Heat the oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat and sauté the onions, diced potato, salt and pepper, smoked paprika, all the mushrooms, chorizo and the crushed garlic until golden brown. Cover the pan with the lid for a few minutes while sautéing so that it does not take on too much colour, stir frequently to prevent sticking and burning. Do not be tempted to add more oil, the sautéing process takes about 8 - 10 minutes.
    Add the orzo pasta and mix well.
    Once you are happy with the amount of colouring deglaze the pan with the wine and cook until all the wine is absorbed.
    Add the stock, cover the pan with a lid and bring the soup to a gentle simmer, stir frequently to prevent the pasta sticking to the base of the pan and gently simmer for 25 minutes over low heat.
    Serve the piping hot soup with a sprinkling of chopped chives and warm freshly baked bread on the side.

2. I posted this because I was so thrilled at having found a source of orzo again. Used to be able to get it easily in Scotland but hadn't been successful here until Waitrose opened nearby recently.
    If you have recipes/ideas to share....?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I use it to make Youvetsi - do you want a recipe for that?

4. I have made youvetsi in the dim and distant past but no longer remember what goes in it - so yes please.

5. I use it as an alternative to paella and risooto - the rice in both of which makes ill.
    That and just buried under parmesan and basil!

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Once, in the early blossom of our relationship (or when we were courting, as my nan would probably say), my now-wife cooked me a slow-cooked Greek dish of lamb, tomatoes, herbs (oregano I think) and orzo. It was wonderful. I'm guessing here, but is this the youvetzi that you speak of, Henriette?
    As far as I'm aware, it's the only time I've ever had orzo. Am intrigued to see what this thread brings up. I can definitely see its use in soups.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

yup - that would be it: don't forget the cinnamon!
    if looking at recipes for ideas, don't forget that "orzo" is also Italian for barley, particularly pearl barley - not <u>always</u> an interchangeable ingredient!

8. That's it nick; I remember it now - topped with grated cheese. Should be a hard Greek cheese although I believe parmesan will do.
    Sweet potato and orzo bake is good too. mix cooked orzo with cooked, pureed ( if you prefer a chunkier texture that's fine) sweet potato, season to taste, sprinkle Parmesan on the top and put into the oven for 20 mins or so. I sometimes add wilted spinach to that. Roasting the potato rather than boiling it adds extra flavour as does a touch of smoked paprika.

9. cosmos, that sounds really good for lunch! I shall add it to the list! Thank you!

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

Egyptgirl, you missed this thread last week because of your emergency back home: have you some ideas to add?

11. Like pobs, I often use it to make a risotto - with some parmesan and fresh basil. Yummy!
    I also often add a handful to soups.
    I also do a CQ recipe which I am not sure how to put down here, as it is a typical CQ recipe with no method or quantities.
    However, if you make up some orzo, then fry some prawns, add a tomato sauce, a sprinkle of cheese and some fresh basil, then mix all together, it is very yummy.
    I have also made this, very often
    <h2>Spinach and Orzo Salad Recipe</h2>

<h2>Print Options</h2>

<h3>Ingredients</h3>
    • <li class="ingredients">8 ounces orzo pasta<li class="ingredients">Salt<li class="ingredients">1/4 cup pine nuts<li class="ingredients">6 ounces feta cheese, roughly crumbled<li class="ingredients">2 ounces Kalamata Greek olives pitted, roughly chopped, about 1/2 cup (about 20 olives)<li class="ingredients">4 ounces baby spinach<li class="ingredients">1/2 cup chopped red onion (about half a red onion)<li class="ingredients">3 Tbsp olive oil<li class="ingredients">1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar<li class="ingredients">1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (can substitute white vinegar or lemon juice)<li class="ingredients">1 teaspoon Dijon mustard<li class="ingredients">Pinch dried basil<li class="ingredients">Pinch dried tarragon<li class="ingredients">Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

<h3>Method</h3>
    1 Cook the orzo pasta. Bring to a boil a pot with 2
    quarts of water in it. Once the water is boiling, salt it with a couple
    teaspoons of salt. Once the water returns to a boil add the orzo to the
    pot. Leave uncovered, cook on high heat with a vigorous boil. Put the
    timer on for 8-10 minutes, or whatever your pasta package says is
    appropriate for al dente (cooked but still a little firm). Drain. Rinse
    with cold water to cool quickly.

2 Toast the pine nuts by heating a small skillet on medium
    heat. Add the pine nuts and stir occasionally until the pine nuts are
    lightly browned. Pay attention or you'll burn the pine nuts.

3 Take half of the spinach and pur&eacute;e it in a food processor or
    blender, adding one tablespoon of the olive oil. Roughly chop the
    other half of the spinach. In a large serving bowl mix the spinach
    pur&eacute;e olive oil mixture in with cooked orzo until the pasta is well
    coated with the pur&eacute;e. Then gently mix in the remaining spinach, the
    red onion, feta cheese, pine nuts, and the Kalamata olives.

3 In a small jar, combine the remaining olive oil (2 Tbsp),
    balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, mustard, dried basil, and dried
    tarragon. Put a lid on the jar and shake to combine. (You can also
    just whisk together these ingredients in a small bowl, but the jar
    method works great to get a good emulsion.) Pour over orzo spinach
    mixture and gently mix in until well incorporated.

4 Chill for at least an hour before serving.

Serves 4.
    (sorry, I cannot remember which website I got the recipe from). I leave out the olives.
    But it is yummy!

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

That sounds good!!!! [​IMG]

13. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Chicken with Orzo - from Jonkers kitchen!
    1 1/2 onions, sliced
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    packet 6 chicken thighs - skinless fillets, cubed (if feeling flush use breasts and slice)
    chunk of chorizo, cubed (size to suit - I use about 3 inches)
    Jar passata (700gr)
    3 bay leaves
    handful oregano
    1 pint chicken stock
    1 cup orzo
    Large handful grated parmesan
    Season to taste

Saute onions. Add chicken and garlic, cook a few minutes, add chorizo. When sizzling nicely add passata, stock, bay leaves and oregano. Simmer for about 30 minutes and then add orzo together with more liquid if required. Cover and put in oven at 170c fan for 10 minutes. Uncover, stir and sprinkle with a good handful of grated parmesan, back in oven for 10 more minutes. Serve with a couple of green veg.
    Everyone seems to love this. It is particularly good for mixed age meals, yesterday we had an 18 month old eating it alongside an 82 year old. It doubles well with a bit less passata

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It's excellent in paella. The gentleman will always allow his wife to nick some of his prawns and mussels in return for most of her choitzo.

15. As I seem to have all the ingredients to hand, I shall do jonkers chicken dish for lunch. The orzo and spinach one sounds good too. Do try the mushroom and orzo soup, it is divine!