1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite opera aria?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheHistoryGuy, May 31, 2011.

1. For those who like opera, what is your favourite opera aria?
    I would chose any of these Wagner arias:
    'Mild und liese' (The Liebestod) from Tristan und Isolde Act III sung by Birgit Nilsson
    'In fernem Land' (Lohengrin's Narration) from Lohengrin Act III sung by René Kollo
    'Allmächt'ger Vater' (Rienzi's Prayer) from Rienzi Act V, sung by Kollo
    If I had to choose a non Wagner aria, it would be either:
    'E lucevan le stelle' from Tosca sung by Plácido Domingo
    or
    'Nessun dorma' from Turandot sung by Domingo

2. For those who like opera, what is your favourite opera aria?
    I would chose any of these Wagner arias:
    'Mild und liese' (The Liebestod) from Tristan und Isolde Act III sung by Birgit Nilsson
    'In fernem Land' (Lohengrin's Narration) from Lohengrin Act III sung by René Kollo
    'Allmächt'ger Vater' (Rienzi's Prayer) from Rienzi Act V, sung by Kollo
    If I had to choose a non Wagner aria, it would be either:
    'E lucevan le stelle' from Tosca sung by Plácido Domingo
    or
    'Nessun dorma' from Turandot sung by Domingo

3. How I wish I could pretend I listened to opera a lot. I don't suppose Les Mis counts, does it?

Anyhoo - I love Queen of the Night (I think that's the name) from The Magic Flute. I sing it to the kid sometimes. Badly.

4. ALL of these (I am so excited to find a fellow opera fan).
    I would also add:
    Quando m'en vo, from La Boheme, Puccini
    And Cio Cio San, from Madame Butterfly (also Puccini - he is my favourite opera componist!)

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Il Segreto Per Esser Felici from Donizetti's Lucrezia Borgia
    Vesti La Giubba from Leoncavallo's Pagliacci
    Largo al factotum from Rossini's The Barber of Seville

and dozens of others

6. May I add Tu Tu Piccolo from Madame Butterfly, also?
    Preferably from Maria Callas.

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

That's a lovely choice, cosmos :)

8. To widen it out from aria to duets etc I'd choose:
    Tristan und Isolde: The 'duet' between Tristan and Isolde at the end of Act II just before he runs onto Merlot's sword, which begins 'Wohin nun Tristan scheidet, whillst due, Isold', ihm folgen?'
    or
    Parsifal: The 'duet' between Parisfal and Gurnemanz in the Good Friday scene near the start of Act III
    or
    Meistersinger: The quintet (!) from Act III

9. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Vissi d'Arte - Tosca.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OIExoUb8jk
    From Samson and Delilah: "Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piRiiZ0C4Q

I'm also partial to 'Casta Diva', Queen of the Night.. , 'Che faro senza Euridice?' (Kathleen Ferrier, of course - never could get used to the idea that it is a man's song...)
    I can't think of any male singers' arias that bring out the tears and/or hairs on the back of the neck. But I am prepared to be educated [​IMG]

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Love that too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6JN0l7A_mE
    Not an aria but a chorus - Hebrew Slaves chorus from Nabucco. I remember Steve Race telling the story on My Music that when Nabucco was in rehearsal amidst the noise and busyness of set building, when the chorus started singing this all the workmen put down thier tools and listenend transfixed and then burst into applause at the end. I used to play it at school at any opportunity and tell the children that story.

11. I could never claim to be an opera fan but there's a scene in the film Philadelphia where Tom Hanks character is listening to Maria Callas, whatever that is it makes the hair on my neck stand up.

12. Just got the Franco Zeffirelli film version of Otello with Domingo. Haven't really listened to any Verdi before so this will be interesting.