1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite Opening Lines

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Bethannie, Sep 28, 2011.

1. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I'd forgotten how much I loved this book.

2. Just found this thread and immediately wanted to add this line to it. Glad someone beat me to it and putthe word out, such a wonderful book!

3. "'Take my camel, dear,' said Aunt Dot, as she climbed down from that animal on her return from High Mass."

From 'The Towers of Trebizond' by Rose Macaulay. I haven't actually read it all, but I love the first line!

4. Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo. . . . His father told him that story: his father looked at him through a glass: he had a hairy face. He was a baby tuckoo. The moocow came down the road where Betty Byrne lived: she sold lemon platt.
    I love the opening to this 'Portrait of the Artist as a Young Boy' by James Joyce, and also the opening of Hardy's 'The Mayor of Casterbridge'.
    ps I also love kev's choice from 'The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy'!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I wish to make a FORMAL PROTEST against this thread.
    I have now gone and bought copies of some of these that I haven't read/not read recently for my Kindle.
    Don't you lot know that Christmas is fast approaching and grandchildren are expecting generous presents?
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

And conversely, why would you enjoy it?

7. "Here is an account of a few years in the life of Quoyle, born in Brooklyn and raised in a shuffle of dreary upstate towns."
    The Shipping News, E. Annie Proulx

"The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed sub-category. He's got esprit up to here. Right now, he's preparing to carry out his third mission of the night."
    Snowcrash, Neal Stephenson

"The future is dark, the present burdensome; only the past, dead and finished, bears contemplation."
    The Practice of History, G.R.Elton

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I loved this book.

9. Me, too. And that sentence is very nearly perfect; somehow it encapsulates the whole essence of the story in one line.

10. Coventry City are &&&k all. The Footbal, Factory, John King.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am now half-way through this - thank you for the reminder!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

12. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Can't you Sleep Little Bear by Martin Waddell and Barbara Frith. We only had that one, but my kids loved it too. Simply written and beautifully illustrated.

13. "Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. This story is about something that happened to them when they were sent away from London during the war because of the air-raids."
    Takes me right back to reading 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' at Christmas time as a child [​IMG]

14. Bother, I've remembered another, please forgive the double post!
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

15. Mother died today .. or maybe it was yesterday.
    The Stranger
    Albert Camus

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for Les Miserables on its side blocking his view, but Price who is with Pierce & Pierce and twenty-six doesn't seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five dollars to turn up the radio, "Be My Baby" on WYNN, and the driver, black, not American, does so.
    American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

17. Two from my younger days though they often get reread now I'm grown-up! -
    "The Mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring-cleaning his little home."
    and
    "Prone across her unmade bed, arms and legs limply dangling, Lawrie Marlow raised a thought. 'What d'you call today? Last Day because of holidays or First Day because of term?'"

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I was set down from the carrier's cart at the age of three; and there with a sense of bewilderment and terror my life in the village began.

Cider With Rosie - Laurie Lee

19. There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.

- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
    - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

- Anna Karenina

It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful.
    - Matilda (I think this one makes even more sense when you're a teacher!)