1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite/ Least Favourite topics to teach

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MadameHannah, May 18, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    Just wondering what are your favourite and least favourite topics to teach? What topic do find children really enjoy?

2. Hi guys,
    Just wondering what are your favourite and least favourite topics to teach? What topic do find children really enjoy?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My least favourite topic is converting units.
    I enjoy teaching most things but my favourite topic to teach is algebra. I find it very satisfying and my classes seem to as well.

4. I like teaching anything I can read out the answers to at the end. I hate constructions/loci/tesselation etc....
    I love teaching combinations and permutations although I couldn't exactly say why....

5. I loved teaching the Core 4 trig proofs this year - it was so nice to see/hear the satisfaction from the students.

I dislike teaching Stats 1 and 2. I just find it a bit repetitive. Though I did like teaching Hypothesis testing - I looked at 20 playing cards without showing the students what they were and told them they had to try and read my mind and write down what suit the card was (0.25 probability of guessing correctly each time). Was great fun, though slightly disturbing when one student got 17 out of 20 correct!

6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Data handling I find very dull to teach, probability of ok but not the statistics. Most genuine data is too complex for students to handle and most contrived data is dull and pointless as collegiate time.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I don't like teaching number topics. Especially fractions, decimals and percentages.

8. algebraisfun

algebraisfun New commenter

Least favourite: anything that involves tedious number crunching, because it's boring. So that includes data handling/a large part of stats, and any numerical methods. Oh, and Decision Maths of course. I also don't like teaching graphs, probably because I don't like drawing and sketching them myself.

My favourite topics to teach are algebra (did you guess?!?), trig at any level, although I have a particular passion for the C3 identities :), and anything to do with Mechanics.

9. I can't think of a least favourite but I really like statistics and letting students in on marketing strategies, especially to females with make up, creams, shampoos.... voted the top brand in our not so rigorous survey etc.