1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite desert?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 28, 2015.

?

What is your favourite desert?

1. Sahara

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Gobi

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Mojave

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Atacama

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Australian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kalahari

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Arabian

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. Antarctica

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  9. Swindon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In recognition of a very basic spelling error that I nearly made, but for my wife spotting it in time, I bring you another poll thread!

A geography type poll.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have a bit of Sahara desert in a fancy bottle. I have been to the Sahara twice in Morocco and once in Libya, I like the wide open space.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Penguins.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

An ex-colleague gave me a rather nice little red glass with Saharan sand in it, very fine, not coarse at all.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Arabian, specifically the Rub al Khali, where I used to take my old Series 3 SWB Land Rover for weekend treks.

lanokia likes this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I just want to tell you that I have got a tube with layers of different coloured sand from Alum Bay in the Isle of Wight which isn't a desert but lanokia's post reminded me of it.

lanokia and RedQuilt like this.
  7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've got an elephant and a star filled with sand from there.
    We went on the cable car down to the bottom and my then 3 year old took her shoe off and threw it on the way down. It's still there I expect.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The memory of that cable car still fills me with terror! The day we went on it my 2 year old son and his 3 year old cousin ran ahead of us and got into a cable car (it was not enclosed but just had a rail to hold onto and the person 'in charge' of the ride was clearly not paying attention)) which moved off. I and my sister missed the next car and got on the next. We then watched the two little ones in the car ahead worrying that they would fidget and fall out. We were afraid to shout out to tell them to hold tight in case it made them turn round and lose their balance. By the time we got to the bottom I was shaking with fright and couldn't stand up. The children were fine. That was 44 years ago, long before Elf and Safety came in.

RedQuilt likes this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

There is a comma missing in my post after 'in the car ahead' and it alters the meaning. The children weren't worrying. We adults were.

10. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I hated it too. I was clinging to my daughter in terror all of the way down but at least she was next too me. I feel a bit sick just reading what happened to you! I'd never go on it again.

Lascarina likes this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Nor would I! I wonder if the cars are enclosed now or if it's the same as it was then. In fact I wonder if it's still there- so much of the Island's coastline has been eroded and whole chunks have fallen into the sea.

RedQuilt likes this.
  12. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Drove through/across Mojave a few years ago, mainly to get from one place to another. Ended up on Route 66 without realisation or intention - we only did it to go to 'towns with comedy value' Siberia, Bagdad, Cadiz and Goffs.

I prefer my vistas to have a certain amount of green though.

Sillow likes this.
  13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

They weren't enclosed 10 years ago when we were last year.
    There had been a large landslide in Ventnor, where we stayed, that looked pretty serious. Not sure I'd want to live that close to the edge:confused:

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My knowledge of the Mohave is based 100% from... Fallout New Vegas....

Yeah

15. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Hee hee. Why else would we have also driven to Fargo?

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Why is our own British desert not listed?

Gold star for the first person to correctly name it.

17. jamiedoorknob

jamiedoorknob Occasional commenter

Larne

Gold star for me.

racroesus likes this.
  18. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

It's good ... but it's not right.

19. jamiedoorknob

jamiedoorknob Occasional commenter

Have you been to Larne?

20. Spiritwalkerness