1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite cookery cooks

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nizebaby, Jun 24, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Just one per post to keep things sane!
    I'll begin with my old friend the Friends of the Earth cookery book. Not actually my favourite but it stood me in good stead when I was young, idealistic, broke and in need of some tasty recipes.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Books not cooks?
    I'd have to say 'The Dairy Book of Home Cookery'. You got it from your milkman back in the 1970s. I jave my dear Mum's battered and well used copy...............just something so 'homely' about it!

sbkrobson likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My goodness - I'm not sure we have much cooking in common @BelleDuJour but I have a battered copy of that one too. Otherwise it's usually Google these days or the weekend papers.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  4. BelleDuJour

I wouldn't say that...........

lindenlea likes this.
  5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Nigella's How to Eat.

nick909 likes this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Whoops. I've just noticed the typo in the title.

I must say I don't need Nigella to tell me how to eat.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Hmmmmm. Gonna have to think about this. But I'm going to struggle to find anything to beat Nigella's How To Eat. It is a marvellous book. So beautifully written, full of good sense and everything works. Whatever your views on her or her TV shows, she writes extremely well.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  8. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Cooking Explained by Barbara Hammond, originally bought as a set book for my college course, but it has basic recipes and methods plus all the explanations of cookery methods, nutrition, meal planning. A book I still recommend to novice cooks.
    For more advanced cooking, the Cordon Bleu cookery book, Raymond Blanc's books are also excellent.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The trouble with How to Eat is the title. It made me bristle because I already had a pretty good idea of how to eat, so I never even looked at the book!

BelleDuJour likes this.
  10. BelleDuJour

How to Eat is a great book, although I personally hate watching Nigella on TV as she's so false.
    I like the Ottolenghi books, and have a particular soft spot for Jerusalem as both Cosmos and I bought it for each other for our birthdays one year without knowing. Our birthdays were 10 days apart so we'd meet up and exchange gifts, have lunch and go shopping somewhere between hte two. And one year......'snap'!

sbkrobson and bombaysapphire like this.
  11. sagesund

sagesund Occasional commenter

'Recipes from the farmhouse kitchen' is my favourite. It's actually two books in one and was given to me as present in the early 90's. It has recipes from long ago as well as some sent in by magazine readers.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The cookery year.
    Remember this 70s edition?
    upload_2020-7-6_14-9-26.jpeg

jules9 and bombaysapphire like this.
  13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Our Christmas came from that book. My siblings and I all have copies sourced from charity shops.

sbkrobson likes this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, and I'm sure you all cook well.
    It's a beautiful book! And it teaches skill, not triumph.
    Food and seasonality,without tooting about how virtuous you are or what a moral revelation it is. Not that difficult, surely?
    I'm on my third copy now as the hefty spine has always collapsed. I have no other cook books.

nizebaby likes this.
  15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Screenshot_20200706-174755_Instagram.jpg
    I could choose from a whole range of Claudia Roden's books, and probably will again at some point, but this is magnificent. It's a book to read as well as cook from. The history of the food as important as the recipes. It's wonderful.

ACOYEAR8, nizebaby and primarycat like this.
  16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Love that book! We're great Claudia Roden fans and often turn to her for recipes. But that is my favourite, and not just for its recipes. Nizeman is jewish so was fascinated to learn of recipes from outside the usual eastern european and sephardic traditions.

Her spanish book is also wonderful. My favourite recipe is for valencian orange flan. So simple, and absolutely divine.

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've recommemnded it on here before and at least one person tried it and liked it.

sbkrobson likes this.
  18. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I can confirm that it's very good.

nizebaby likes this.
  19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes, her Spanish book is excellent. I've quite a number of very good Spanish cookbooks, but this is the one I turn to most often. It's beautiful as well.

nizebaby likes this.
  20. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I always use the Chestnut stuffing recipe from that book. I'm on my 2nd copy of it, the first fell apart through lots of use!

sbkrobson likes this.