1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite childhood films

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Apr 10, 2012.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

zorro, roy rogers,tom mix....superman
    the bowery boys...lads in NY
    a lot of the films by the chrildrens films foundaton.all about kids on bomb sites and mainly in London
    i was taken to the cinema as a babe in arms.......and to many other later.....but i remember sat film club bast.....ABC minors lol

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Our school used to show films on a projector as a Christmas treat. Tom Thumb with Russ Tamblyn was magical.

3. Oh I remember that one Linden, screaming with fear as he ran around under the hat with the baddies trying to flatten him!
    Greyfriars Bobby; To Kill a Mockingbird; South Pacific; Flipper.....were all films I was taken to see as a young girl. Many more, just can't remember them at the moment!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I was a child of the eighties, so John Hughes features significantly. I have loads of favourite - I still watch them now. My wife had seen barely any of these when we first got together so it was a great excuse to upgrade them all to DVD.
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    The Lost Boys
    The Goonies
    Weird Science
    Stand By Me
    Police Academy (the first one only)
    Big
    Back to the Future trilogy
    Home Alone
    Ghostbusters

I could go on forever....

Karate Kid
    Robocop
    Teen Wolf
    Wargames
    Labyrinth
    BMX Bandits

I'll stop in a minute, I promise...

Crocodile Dundee
    Smokey and the Bandit
    Cannonball Run
    National Lampoon's Vacation

And I had better stop, actually. Could go on further, I'm sure.

5. Oh, poor smoothnewt! :-(
    I clearly remember the very first time my mum took me to the cinema. It was to see 'Bedknobs & Broomsticks' and I was absolutely goggle eyed.
    I think I must have been about 6. I've never watched it since. I wonder what memories it would conjur up if I did?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You've missed the Breakfast club and Pretty in Pink. 2 great growing up movies.
    The first time I went to the cinema was to watch a film by the Children Film Foundation. A plane was lost in the desert. Don't really remember it. I did love Swallows and Amazons (still do) and I also really like Annie as well especially"It's a hard knock life".

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (but I always hid when the Child Catcher came on)
    The Aristocats

8. My brother and I used to watch 'The Great Muppet Caper' on repeat - and I saw it in Sainsbury's the other day on DVD for £3 so HAD to buy it!

9. Oh, I loved "Whistle Down the Wind!!!!

i've recently bought "The Sound of Music" .... and it still makes me cry

I also bought "Escape to Witch Mountain' (the original) which I loved as a kid... seems a bit cheesy now!

I loved Mary Poppins as a child... but thinks it's probably better not to re-watch!

Harvey.... watched it on TV as a child, and found it recently.... absolute classic

10. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

Nick and Robyn - we must be the same generation - how could I forget the Lost Boys (had posters of the vampires in my bedroom!) and The Breakfast Club.

The Outsiders was another good one.

11. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Harvey was the first one I thought of. Saturday morning kids cinema at the Odeon. I loved it. Mary Poppins was also a childhood fave, as was Wizard of Oz. Wizard made Christmas for me.

When mum became a single parent, money was tight, and the cinema became a treat. Remember seeing Star Wars & Grease and was bored by both of them - even falling asleep in Star Wars! The film about Bob Champion and Aldaniti I loved.

When Miss W was small, her favourites were Jungle Book, Wallace & Gromit's Wrong Trousers and the new 101 Dalmations.

Happy Memories - great thread [​IMG]
    When Miss W was small, her favourites were Jungle Book and Wallace & Gromit's Wrong Trousers (we watched again a couple of days ago) al

12. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Not sure what happened there - dyslexic fingers at this time in the morning!!

About to add...

... although, the one film her friends loved, but she hated (and the only film ever to give her nightmares) Free *****. She's now 20 but still can't watch it, and remembers being frightened of it.

13. I remember crying my eyes out after watching The Hunchback of Notre Dame (the original not the Disney one). It stayed with me for so long, I decided to call any daughter I would have Esmerelda and guess what.. I didn't!