1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite Bible Verses

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BinceBlueLamb, Jun 7, 2020.

1. BinceBlueLamb

BinceBlueLamb New commenter

Happy Sunday! What are your favourite verses from the Bible? You don’t have to be Christian to answer; there are many Bible verses that people are fond of because they have become so well known.

Mine might be:
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 1 Corinthians 13:4

But this one is so well known that I almost wish that I could say something more obscure that people are not already so familiar with!

Alice K, Dragonlady30, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Mine is "go forth and multiply". (But it reads better in the original Aramaic)

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I know! It's hard to single the best out from so much richness.
    My altogether all time favourite bible quote is Job 13:5
    "If only you would be altogether silent, for you that would be wisdom"
    I love this and how it cleverly makes any Bible look like a snake trying to eat itself from the tail upwards-genius!

BinceBlueLamb, Laphroig and Jamvic like this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I have come out of many a staff training session thinking, 'And Jesus wept'.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Saw a great PPT once with this on a concluding slide - it was very funny but you had to ‘know ‘ your audience :p

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Even better in Anglo Saxon!:p

7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Beloved of motorcyclists: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Interesting first post. :rolleyes:

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Alice K, BinceBlueLamb and Jamvic like this.
  10. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

:D
    Those of ye who have faith - well done and off you go and enjoy it.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Not bad or a first post.
    And replies to a biblical post...cor you lot do surprise me LOL

BinceBlueLamb and Jamvic like this.
  12. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

"Sod 'em"

Genesis 18:20

13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Where's that post about "smiting" I like that one too?

BinceBlueLamb and Jamvic like this.
  14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

“God said unto John, “Come forth and recieve eternal life. But John came fifth and won a toaster.”

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ezekiel 23:19-20

Yet she increased her prostitution, remembering the days of her youth when she engaged in prostitution in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their genitals as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions.

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

17. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Luke 10:35 (King James Version): And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, "Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee".
    A verse from the Parable of the Good Samaritan. The Samaritan went to the assistance of the "man who fell among thieves" not because he was a relative or even a friend; in fact, he was a complete stranger. The Samaritan carried out a simple act of selfless kindness towards a fellow human being in distress. And when he eventually involved others in the man's care, i.e. the innkeeper, he didn't expect anybody else to take on the financial responsibility for what he had chosen to do.

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The end of Romans, chapter 8 - to be read at my funeral.

Who, then, can separate us from the love of Christ? Can trouble do it, or hardship or persecution or hunger or poverty or danger or death?
    37 No, in all these things we have complete victory through him who loved us! 38 For I am certain that nothing can separate us from his love: neither death nor life, neither angels nor other heavenly rulers or powers, neither the present nor the future, 39 neither the world above nor the world below—there is nothing in all creation that will ever be able to separate us from the love of God which is ours through Christ Jesus our Lord.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

"...he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth." But Lazarus came fifth and lost his beer money for the week.