1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite Beer?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by baxterbasics, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Will Brexit mean we don't have to put up with all this fizzy Bavarian mountain goat pee (aka lager), and can just have proper British beer?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of the benefits of not being able to drink alcohol is that I have no idea what this Bavarian mountain goat pee that you speak of tastes like.

3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I will definitely look for that.
    There is a European beer shop near me that where the stock seems to continually change - I'm not sure if the owner actually takes a trip overseas every few weeks to re-stock, but he has a really good range.
    In terms of glasses for Belgian beers, I use a wine glass. You can buy gift sets for these beers with a few bottles and a glass as well. The glass in like a wine glass, but more tulip shaped at the top.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I used to go out on a Saturday night with someone who could down 14 or 15 Newcastle Brown Ale's - and then fall over.

He was too heavy to carry back so we often left him in the pub.

baxterbasics likes this.
  5. baxterbasics

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

To be fair the standard continental lagers are drinkable and the better ones are very good. What are poor are the British knock offs of lager. Why anyone would want to drink Carling Black Label is beyond me.

les25paul and eljefeb90 like this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

On a recent holiday we bought a couple of 6 packs of Belgian stuff as a gift for blazer major, it came with the glass as a free gift! Sadly blazer minor is a Fosters man!! Where did I go wrong?

8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

It used to be said around Bristol that "you need brains to drink Courage and courage to drink Brains"

Brains SA is a wonderful beer.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Nice price too if you're selling them. Looks like somebody who takes the transit van over to Carrefour Calais at regular intervals. I bet he/she voted Remain. :)

If you live in the SE and trade some Tesco Clubcard vouchers in for free Eurotunnel tickets that's a trip that would be well worth taking.

UK price aside, that is a fair selection though.

10. baxterbasics

It works out at £3.30 bottle

Obviously they need a profit margin. I normally pay around £2.50 per bottle for a quality beer like those bought separately. I wonder how much the bill would come to if bought in Belgium?

11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Had some Cotswold Pale Ale when out for a meal the other day. I really liked it.

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I can't drink a pint of warm badger's arrse or whatever it's called after running around for 90 minutes.

magic surf bus likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

Carrefour France currently have 273 'tasting' beers listed.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just opened a Brew Dog 'lost lager' left over from last weekend when a lager drinking friend came to stay. Actually very nice, quite hoppy

15. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Love the Belgian beer which looks like pee..... Hoegaarden.....mmmmmm yummy.

16. magic surf bus

So that explains why Belgian public toilets have Dammen and Hoegaarden signs on them. :)

blazer likes this.