1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite Beer?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by baxterbasics, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Jealous.

Quite bizarrely we found it fairly often at bars in Tokyo as the only British (possibly only European) beer.

2. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I had a few pints of Old Tom in my early twenties before driving to work the next day. Looking back, I was probably over the limit in the morning. It is a seriously strong draught beer, and as you say, a bit like Guinness, so more of a stout.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well this thread drove me out of the house in search of beer.

artboyusa, sbkrobson and baxterbasics like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Taylor's Landlord is my favourite but I only like beer on tap in a pub. I never fancy it out of a bottle or can at home.

I used to like Courage Directors and Brains but you never see them up here.

5. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I don't think there are many high quality canned beers. I presume that bottling keeps the quality higher.

6. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

[​IMG]

I'm drinking a bottle of the EPA this evening, and it's very nice.

lanokia likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Mr GW likes Bathams, brewed in Brierly Hill. He's slowly introducing it to friends down here so every time he goes up, more crates go in the boot. Reckon he should be on commission.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I really love all the beers you mention, but you appear to be missing a trick-
    Get yourself a nice German Hefeweizen. Flex your shopping muscles in diligent pursuit of the correct glass. Youtube how to pour it properly; it matters.
    And then when drinking, no really,it's ok, no need to come back and thank me, after all, it wasn't me who thought of fiddling with the Reinheitsgebot to produce drinkable genius.

magic surf bus likes this.
  9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Mr P is partial to Belgian Blue and has a keg under the bed for Christmas plus a few bottles among the rest of his stash. I don't think it's Belgian, it's named after the cow, I think it's fairly local although I could be wrong. I don't like beer. I like artisan gin.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On a trip to Bodensee we happened upon a discount beer outlet that was doing Paulaner hefeweizen for only 1 Euro a 660ml bottle with a free crate thrown in. We still use the crate for carrying the other continental stuff home.

And yes, they always serve it in a properly branded glass over there don't they? I got me one of the tall ones on special offer in another supermarket.

sbkrobson likes this.
  12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Disappointing choice.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Good good good!
    If you find Hefeweizen over here, do you pour it correctly? Let the bottle stand upright for half an hour. Pour all but the last inch. Then swill those yeast deposits about until pourable and use them to top the beer already in the glass.
    (Details like this have enabled meaningful social interactions on "Internationalism" at CAMRA events, which to me would otherwise merely be a cultish sea of turgid bellies and ale nerdery)
    Gut gut gut!

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Although we can discuss the virtues of any beer, they are a bit like your mother's bread pudding. Every kid in my school declared their mother's bread pudding tasted far better than any other kid's they tried. The tastes we like most, tend to be the ones we're most familiar with.

My first taste of beer was keg beer. Typically Watney's Red Barrel or Skol lager, which needed a dash of something else to make it palatable. Thankfully, at an influential time in my life as a young adult, I was in a folk band desperate to find places to play; and the pubs that encouraged us to, also promoted real ale, alongside the keg beers.

My taste in beer changed, once I'd been exposed to proper beer. I now do my utmost to seek out places that sell flavourful real ale. I didn't particularly like Shepherd and Neame's ales when I lived in London, because they were overly hopped, but after I moved to Kent, where they grow hops and the brewery owned most of the local pubs, I had to drink Shepherd and Neame's beers and grew to find a virtues in them I hadn't previously.

Whilst I lived in Kent, I worked in London and was able to work out that of all the beers I liked best, were those produced by Fullers in Chiswick.

Then I moved to Hampshire, having little knowledge of the local brews, but was delighted to discover that Fullers bought George Gales brewery, which had owned most of the local pubs, and sell Fullers beers alongside the best that Gales made. Gales HSB isn't at all bad, but if its alongside Fullers ESB, it's the ESB I'd ask for.

All around the country, all around the world, people tend to prefer the beers they are most familiar with.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Is that beer? Its called 'Wife beater' around here

artboyusa and sbkrobson like this.
  16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

And here.

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Lager is a beer.

18. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

19. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Love a Ghost Ship. Oakham brewery in Peterborough, Salopian from Shrewsbury and Scotland's mighty Williams Bros all produce excellent ales. To be honest, as someone who had to endure the dearth of interesting beer in the seventies, eighties and nineties, I love all the explosion of micro breweries and new hop varieties. Had a very interesting ice cream pale and a coconut porter at my local micro brewery 'Burning Soul' last week. Camra need to pack up their tents and leave the battlefield..They have won!

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..as per The Real Ale Tw*ts in Viz? :)

[​IMG]

sbkrobson likes this.