1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Short Story for KS3 ELLs?

Discussion in 'English' started by zshtogren, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hi, I teach a KS3 class of low-level ELLs, and we are working on grammar reinforcement through short stories. Does anyone have a favorite 1000-3000 word story that models simple and complex sentence structure and has compelling characters and plot? Spanish/Latino authors or theme a plus. Available free online another plus. Thanks in advance.

2. Hi, I teach a KS3 class of low-level ELLs, and we are working on grammar reinforcement through short stories. Does anyone have a favorite 1000-3000 word story that models simple and complex sentence structure and has compelling characters and plot? Spanish/Latino authors or theme a plus. Available free online another plus. Thanks in advance.

3. I like "Hey, You Down There!" by Harold Rolseth. Probably longer than 3000 words but can be chunked up. The characters are interesting if a little simplistic, the plot is fun and has a twist at the end and most of the vocab is accessible. Available free from: http://julie-cfahs.wikispaces.com/file/view/Hey+You+Down+There

4. many thanks