1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Faults & Errors

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by thinkypublishing, Jun 7, 2016.

1. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I wrote in another post about errors when attempting to upload large(ish) resources.

Have just received the same error when attempting to upload a very small file (single image):

JSON Parse error: Unrecognized token '<'

There are a few other issues related to uploading and displaying resources. Thought it might be useful to have them in one place, hence starting the topic.

2. thinkypublishing

Next issue is the problem of thumbnails/cover images.

If I use an image file to create a cover file I need to upload this file first.

If at a later date I wish to update this cover image I have to then delete every file. Otherwise the preview system automatically fetches whatever was the second uploaded image and uses that as the cover - regardless of whether I reorder the files so that the updated image file is placed first.

This means to update a cover can involve reuploading 100+mb of files.

Skillsheets likes this.
  3. thinkypublishing

Next is an issue with html in some previews as seen here:

[​IMG]

The code is shown instead which not only looks messy but also means there is less of a description for people to be able to read.

Charleei likes this.
  4. thinkypublishing

I'm pleased we can now upload zip files - but back to things looking messy... they appear in the previews as broken images/non images. Surely better to not appear as a preview at all?

It doesn't achieve anything other than looking a mess and I'd have a fair guess that it's off-putting for some people who try to preview a resource but find that much of the preview is blank.

(Also maybe it's just me but the previews are often very slow to load)

5. thinkypublishing

Finally (for now) here's an example of the mess with the updating cover images. These resources all have the same cover image - but one of them had been updated (involving deleting all files and then re-uploading!!) but for some reason in some thumbnails the preview is still being taken from the second image (right column, second down):

[​IMG]

But if you click on the resource itself the cover image is correct!?!

6. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hi thinky I agree with most of these but in terms of the cover page you know you can just drag and drop to change the order of the files in the upload page?

7. thinkypublishing

Hiya - even if I reorder them it still seems to take the cover image in the order of whatever was historically the next uploaded file.

Possibly it doesn't actually do this and it's some sort of caching issue? But it looks more like the system is designed to pull the cover from the first available image by order of when they were uploaded as opposed to by order they're placed in (which is what should happen in my opinion).

Charleei likes this.
  8. thinkypublishing

New error this time:

JSON Parse error: Unexpected EOF

9. nana82

nana82 New commenter

Hi there,
    I am joining this thread just to communicate that in the past two days I have been experiencing a similar error:
    Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0.
    Are there solutions?

10. thinkypublishing

Received this error today:

Cannot read property 'attachmentId' of undefined

(Attempting to upload a JPG and a PDF)

11. thinkypublishing

Receiving this error again. It seems to be triggered when attempting to drag multiple files onto the upload section.

Attempting to upload multiple files ion this way isn't working any more meaning I'm now having to add each file individually which is very slow.

12. thinkypublishing

and now I've had the issue with somehow switching to somebody else's resources! (None of the resources shown are mine)

[​IMG]

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  13. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

I had this problem when trying to upload multiple files at once. Had to do them one at a time. Bit of an inconvenience.

14. thinkypublishing

It's a real pain. Now have to babysit every upload.

Have tried in different browsers and the same problem in all.

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  15. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

@mrajlong Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you let us know if you're still experiencing this same issue? Or email help@tes.com - there were a few issues with the uploader in recent days but these should be fixed now!

@thinky - same for you, are you still experiencing these issues?

Thanks!

16. thinkypublishing

17. RUN DMC

RUN DMC New commenter

I am having an issue displaying a cover image with a resource bundle. The cover image (PNG file) uploaded but is not displaying anything. I suspect it may have not been the correct size but I do not see any option to replace the image:

upload_2016-9-18_16-52-8.png