1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Faulks on Fiction ...

Discussion in 'Book club' started by steffiw, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Darcy or Heathcliff?

For me, it will always be Darcy ...

2. Can't I have both?
    I do rather love Mr Darcy (and feel it was a shame that the clips on the TV programme didn't show the only actor to come close to Darcy - Laurence Olivier!)
    But now and again I'd like a bit of Heathcliff too!

3. I have to say Heathcliff. I've never cried at P&P or any other Austen but I have cried several times over Heathcliff & Cathy.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

D'Arcy definitely - horribly arrogant and patronising at first, but he redeems himself by the way he discreetly sorts out the mess that Lydia gets herself into, and by the way he cares for his sister.
    I can't stand Heathcliff - or Wuthering Heights. I had to study the book for A Level and got so angry with it, that I haven't been able to read it since. It is more years ago than I'd like to work out, but from what I remember, Heathcliff is just obnoxious (doesn't he say something about not being a rough diamond and admit that he has no redeeming features?), Cathy is self-indulgent, Edward is wet, and the narrator unreliable. I can't remember any sympathetic characters in the whole over-written pile of tosh.
    But, although I prefer D'Arcy to Heathcliff, if I had a choice I'd prefer a completely different character from Faulks's series : Tom Jones. He's much more attractive - in both senses of the word.

5. Exactly how I feel! [​IMG]

6. Neither. I'll have Lucky Jim.