1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fatigued

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by jubilee, May 23, 2011.

1. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Teaching is tiring and frustrating enough when not dealing with pregnancy as well!
    On the plus side, you have a half-term break coming up and the pressure seems to ease in the last half-term of the school year (in Secondary at least) as things wind down for the summer.
    If you are really at your wit's end with stress and exhaustion, you need to see your GP and consider being signed off. Are you on a contract, in which case you'd continue to be paid? If on Daily paid supply rate you might get Incapacity Benefit.

2. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I know exactly what you're experiencing as my Induction at one school was initially for a term, then another when the stressed teacher was not well enough to return and finally offered for a further term.
    As I was not a contracted member of staff (private agency daily rate) they did not invest in my Induction despite getting £1k per term from the LA for it (as happened 10 years ago).No-one looked at my Career Entry profile despite repeated requests from me. I was not included in any courses for NQTs, not even the LA ones. I had no mentor meetings (neither subject one nor school's Induction manager).
    The only parity in classes was in Yr 7 where all groups were mixed ability. The rest of my timetable was bottom sets. I think they knew that my predecessor was going to be ill and dumped all the challenging classes on him that year for a series of supply teachers to manage later. I joined in the January after 8 previous supply teachers had jumped ship between October and Xmas! One had walked out at morning break on her first day.
    I'd had enough after two terms and left with no job to go to. Luckily I didn't have to abide by contractual notice periods and I made my decision not to continue 3 days before breaking up for the summer so that I could enjoy the holiday instead of spending 6 weeks dreading a return to the workplace. I'd seen my timetable for September and it was all bottom sets again.

3. Thanks Jubilee I feel better now. There have been two permanent jobs going but not with A Level and the thought of teaching these middle to bottom sets again is not for me. I am a contracted member of staff but you'd never think so. I was due to finish in Decemeber of this year but the person I am covering for is coming back in September so I have to leave. I have asked for coaching but it never happens. I'm a late starter into teaching and people seem to think that because you're older you'll be OK and don't need much help. As I said I consider myself very lucky to have some good colleagues who have been great.
    I don't have a job to go to as yet but I will enjoy the summer and my new baby in peace thats for sure!