1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fathers Day Cards

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tabbicat, Jun 8, 2008.

1. This year I am considering putting out a variety of resources for children to use for their cards rather than using a set template.

What are other people doing?

I did this for Mothers Day this year which meant they were all quite individual.

If anybody has any great ideas please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

2. Smurf191

Smurf191 New commenter

I was just curious how everyone does Fathers day what with many children not having Fathers and some having 2 or in my case 3! Do they make 3 cards?

3. My children this year are fortunate in that they all have a dad.

Some of them don't live with them but they are in contact so can make a card for them.

They won't be making cards for stepfathers as it would just end up being too many to make and I don't think the boys would be interested in having to make two cards if I suggested it.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't celebrate father's day.

5. our school does not celebrate father's day either

6. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

Entily deoends upon the group you have, if you know the children then you will know the best course of action I have done special person cards in past. After explaining that it is fathers day and what that means, and then explianing and discussing different familiy setups then sent children off to create a card for a special person who looks after them of thier choice; dad, granddad, brother, mum carer etc.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Many years ago I asked why we didn't make Father's Day cards and was told it was because it is a made up "holiday" nothing to do with family make up.

8. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

You are correct
    "A woman by the name of Sonora Smart Dodd thought of the idea for Father's Day while listening to a Mother's Day sermon in 1909...Having been raised by her father, William Jackson Smart, after her mother died, Sonora wanted her father to know how special he was to her...In 1926, a National Father's Day Committee was formed in New York City. Father's Day was recognized by a Joint Resolution of Congress in 1956. In 1972, President Richard Nixon established a permanent national observance of Father's Day to be held on the third Sunday of June." (http://www.morning-glow.com/holidays/father/father.html)
    It's popularity has now swept the globe and celebrated at differing times, except perhaps most of germany, the more synical among as maybe think largly to do with a popular card company.

9. We talk about fathers day and make cards for dads or another relative. I think its a shame if we dont celebrate fathers day, most people make mothers day cards why should dads miss out ?