1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Father complaining about reception practise

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BrainJim, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Was on a bus the other day and this father was on a mobile to talking to his mate. He couldn't believe that his son had been allowed to play out in the cold and rain for the afternoon and came home soaking wet. As he said 'why would a school do that to a 4 year old'. His wife was going into to see the head to complain and they were thinking of taking him out of the school.
    Sometimes do some of you feel you are out of touch with what parents actually want. Most parents would never dream of allowing their children to play out in such conditions and yet many of you feel that you know best.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'm not completely sure what your point is, but if the child really was soaking wet then that doesn't sound very good. Maybe the dad is right and it's not good to play out in the cold and wet. It's only the current fashion. I hated playing out when it was cold and wet as a child. I probably still would if I were a child today. Some children like it.It's currently a fad that being outside all the time is beneficial.It'll go in and out of fashion like it always has.

And it's 'practice'.

3. It's the soaking wet bit that is worrying. Playing out in the cold and wet is fine as long as the child stays reasonably warm and dry. We have all in one suits and wellies for playing out in bad weather. I wonder about the context of this. If one of our children managed to get very wet we would change them so they didn't stay like that. I wonder if the child had been changed and the teacher was just saying why. I can't imagine a child being sent home 'soaking wet'. If so, that is not usual or good EYFS practice, as the child was not being well cared for.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Eavesdropping SOAPy!

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Really? Whyever not? As thumbie said, what counts is how the child is kitted out, and how wet children are dealt with.
    I feel sorry for soapy's children - not allowed to play out when it's cold and/or wet and presumably similarly coddled when it's hot and sunny.

6. "There's no such thing as bad weather, just unsuitable clothing". As said as long as a child is wearing waterproofs to stay warm and dry, there's no problem with them playing out in the rain. We let children play in the snow which is a good few degrees colder!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think as well one persons definition of "soaking wet" may not be the same as anothers.
    Last week a mum came to explain she was taking her child home to get changed as they had got soaking wet on the way to school ... they had jumped into a puddle (wearing wellies) and slightly splashed one leg of their trousers

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Sadly some parents wont let their children out in rain. Maybe they think they will melt. Personally I loved going out in the rain with wellies, waterproofs and an umbrella. In fact many a time as a child, I was at the top of a mountain in all weathers including torrential rain and blizzards. Maybe my parents were negligent!
    As for it to be fashion to be outdoors, I think in the 40s, 50s and 60s, it was the norm to put your baby in the garden in a pram for its nap. certainly from a very young age children were out in all weathers from morning til tea time alone all day. There are some children now, admittedly more common in some ethnic groups, who are beginning to suffer with rickets again, and part of the cause has been attributed to a lack of daylight.
    My pupils love being out in the rain, but they are only allowed out suitably dressed, parents are aware that they need to provide changes of clothes and suitable outdoor wear. We also have spares for those that forget or are on low incomes. It is not possible for my children to get truely soaking wet unless they pour the water down them( which happen indoors as well) or fall flat on their face ina puddle. However I do agree that parents idea of soaking wet can be a very different understanding of most people. I think they sometimes forget the purpose of a coat, ie to keep them warm and DRY, ergo the coat can and will get wet.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There were also the open-air Nursery Schools built in the 1930's when TB was rife in some areas. They would have one wall in each room which opened out completely like French windows so the children were in the fresh air pretty much all the time, they would even have their afternoon nap on little camp beds outside. I did my teaching practices in schools built like this in London.

10. garlictractor

garlictractor New commenter

i agree with the as long as the child is warm, dry and happy !
    we often have children come in with no coats and one latley wearing no socks and the parents know we go out every day , but as they are driven to school they dont realise the weather or temperture.