1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Father Christmas or Santa Claus

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Biles, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

The name may be a derivation of Sankt Nikolaus (Sankt meaning saint in German)

aspensquiver likes this.
  2. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Try educating yourself.

Far better for you than reading the Daily Mail.

@Dunteachin But Sinterklass is a lot more similar to Santa Claus.

3. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Oooooh. Someone is grouchy! Lol
    You clearly used Google for your fascinating bit of info and you are clearly a lover of all things tinsel...!

Correct?

4. aspensquiver

Something is either similar or not, no? A lot more similar sounds a bit clunky.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Is that the firm that gives money to the passengers when they get to the destination?

aspensquiver likes this.
  6. aspensquiver

Hmmm. It sounds as if you are trying to contain your rudeness...

7. aspensquiver

The mods are much more on the ball these days. A good thing, I feel.

8. ninenotes

You're going to report me for saying you should educate yourself instead of talking about an article in the Daily Mail?

[​IMG]

9. aspensquiver

Eh? What are you talking about? Have you done something to merit being reported?

10. ninenotes

I see that there's an ignore list on this forum.

You are now on mine.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Well, back to the original! Father Christmas was the name I learned as a child, but as the metaphorical distance between GB and the USA becomes smaller, Santa Claus seems to be more prevalent. Or is that a Northern thing?

I don't mind though, as long as whoever it is, turns up on Christmas Eve!

guinnesspuss likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Have you driven for them as well?

13. freedom-of-information

freedom-of-information New commenter

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

In France it's Le Père Noel and in Italy it's Babbo Natale (Daddy Xmas), so maybe the English are more in line with southern traditions. It may be that the Scots, favouring Santa (sounding way too American for me) are more in line with our northern and eastern neighbours.

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think you've summed it up in a nut-shell.

aspensquiver likes this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes, resign now, you'll have to work out your notice for the next 10 years though.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I've tried handing in my notice but nobody seems to take any notice.

18. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

I am staggered that educated people think that Santa Claus is American. He is derived from St Nicholas, the patron saint of children, pawnbrokers, archers and sailors, not to mention Amsterdam and Moscow.. Originally, children were given presents on Nicholas's feast day, December 6th, but the custom in Europe moved to December 25th after the Reformation. The iconoclasts wanted to celebrate the birth of Christ rather than a saint's day.

He is entirely a European tradition exported to America probably during the European emigrations in the 19th century, and this is probably why he is more celebrated the US than Father Christmas.

Father Christmas is a relative youngster, dating only from the 1500s, as against Santa Claus who goes back 1600 years. His popularity was revived by Charles Dickens in A Christmas Carol.

aspensquiver and coffeekid like this.
  19. Biles

Biles Established commenter

You live and learn.

aspensquiver likes this.
  20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

And then there's the whole Coca-Cola campaign which gave us his costume, if I'm not mistaken.

Biles and kibosh like this.