1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

fat-binder pills - how can they make these claims?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, May 24, 2012.

1. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Not daft but unwilling to accept responsibility. Companies will always be able to sell snakeoil remedies because it is easier for lots of people to believe they have a 'condition' that can be 'cured' rather than a, harder to accept, self-indulgent infliction that needs lots of personal hard work and abstinance to reverse. And of course if your friend doesn't lose weight as advertised, do you think she will blame herself or the pills? Vanity can be stronger than intelligence.

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I had tried those pills, from the Dr's (Xenical), while on school holiday. I wouldn't dare risking them when working. Hell even coughing to much could have serious consequences!

She might be eating well, but completely disillusioned about the size of what is a portion, so could be eating a meal fit for 2 or 3.

Working out a real portion size was the key to losing weight for me, about 4 stone so far.

In short the tablets work by not letting the body hold onto the fat long enough to start to digest the calories. Hence the oily, water like stools! You end up pooing pure fat!.
    So folks eat their normal diet, and lose weight as those calories never enter the body. Hence the x3 claims.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

OK, I'm off to cookery in a bit (just need to pick over my plans, boss wants to see them, and it's been a gardening day today - I couldn't look at the weeds from the kitchen window any longer - more of the same tomorrow!) to investigate GI recipes.
    Hubby insulin dependant, so I don't know if that makes a difference? Maybe I'm getting muddled up with the high protein diets - I shall hot foot it over to cookery and find out.[​IMG])