1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

fat-binder pills - how can they make these claims?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, May 24, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A friend of the family has jsut started taking some fat-binder pills and I really can't see how the manucaturers can make the claims they do!
    (Yes, I <u>know</u> that diet-pills are huge money-makers and none of them are actually a substitute for healthy eating - preferably with a little exercise thrown in!....And the manufacturers are not exactly renowned for telling the truth!.....I read German magazines and they have even more amazing weight-reduction claims!)
    Anyway....these pills (somethiong called XLS Medical....and so the deluded friend insists not likely to be a 'con' because they are sold over-the-counter by Boots...who surely won't lie to her!) claim she can lose up to 3 times more weight than by dieting alone.
    Now, you lose weight by eating less.....or exercising more...but let's concentrate on diet....if you eat 2000 calories a day and stay a steady weight and then drop to 1500 a day you should have a calorie deficit of 500 cals each day or 3500 a week. That equates to a pound of weigh loss (I think!)....These magic-pills somehow bind enough fat to make you lose a further two pounds? So even assuming that they bind all of the fat you eat, then of the remaining 1500 cals you were eating a day 1000 of them would have to come from fat? ....Or am I missing something? (Who has a diet that is 2/3 pure fat?!!!)
    This family friend is not daft....she actually has a reasonable brain - she works as a research assistant at a Museum...but she is desperate (tried every club/diet going and loses weight for a week or two, then stops losing despite swearing she is sticking to the diet and gets disheartend and chucks the whole thing.....but a cousin is getting married int he West Indies in December and she wants to surprise everyone by wearing a skinny dress...she is reckoning on 3 pounds a week for six months = about 5 stone lost by Christmas!!!!....maybe more daft than she looks?!)

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A friend of the family has jsut started taking some fat-binder pills and I really can't see how the manucaturers can make the claims they do!
    (Yes, I <u>know</u> that diet-pills are huge money-makers and none of them are actually a substitute for healthy eating - preferably with a little exercise thrown in!....And the manufacturers are not exactly renowned for telling the truth!.....I read German magazines and they have even more amazing weight-reduction claims!)
    Anyway....these pills (somethiong called XLS Medical....and so the deluded friend insists not likely to be a 'con' because they are sold over-the-counter by Boots...who surely won't lie to her!) claim she can lose up to 3 times more weight than by dieting alone.
    Now, you lose weight by eating less.....or exercising more...but let's concentrate on diet....if you eat 2000 calories a day and stay a steady weight and then drop to 1500 a day you should have a calorie deficit of 500 cals each day or 3500 a week. That equates to a pound of weigh loss (I think!)....These magic-pills somehow bind enough fat to make you lose a further two pounds? So even assuming that they bind all of the fat you eat, then of the remaining 1500 cals you were eating a day 1000 of them would have to come from fat? ....Or am I missing something? (Who has a diet that is 2/3 pure fat?!!!)
    This family friend is not daft....she actually has a reasonable brain - she works as a research assistant at a Museum...but she is desperate (tried every club/diet going and loses weight for a week or two, then stops losing despite swearing she is sticking to the diet and gets disheartend and chucks the whole thing.....but a cousin is getting married int he West Indies in December and she wants to surprise everyone by wearing a skinny dress...she is reckoning on 3 pounds a week for six months = about 5 stone lost by Christmas!!!!....maybe more daft than she looks?!)

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

My sister in law was prescribed fat pills some time ago - they made her poo out the fat (sorry). Her method of dealing with this was not to take them on nights when she was having a Chinese takeaway, or fish n chips, or anything else fatty... Needless to say, she is bigger. Is than she was before.
    Sounds like your friend has one of those dysfunctional relationships with food, and gives up dieting because it is so horrid to be hungry. I take it, if she's aiming for 5 stone weight loss she's a big girl? If she eats sensibly, surely she should be able to shift quite a lot (at least at first) without resorting to the fat pills?

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Yes...I had heard of the unfortunate side-effect!
    And yes, she's large.....the 5 stone is about half what she wants to lose!! ...Her GP has been - in her mind- less than helpful as she refered her to the 'healthy eating' workshops run by the Practice Nurse!

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

It's such a head space thing, isn't it? I'd love to lose my winter tummy, but I just can't seem to summon up any discipline when there are chocolate digestives in the house...

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I live alone...and there is no way I keep choccie digestives int he house....or my own weakness - custard creams - I can <u>easily</u> demolish a whole pack dunked into a cup of tea in one sitting!
    The friend lives alone too - but has family come around - and their culture/tradition means they always bring her food! I think that the family relationship to food in her case is important...the whole family still get together at weekends and eat huge meals together.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You based your calculations on your relative generally consuming 2000 calories per day. She's probably taking in far more than that.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Oh this makes me cross.

I've lost well over 6 stone without anything as ridiculous as a pill, and without ever being hungry!

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

I think she is burning the extra calories running back and forth to the toilet. I have heard some horrid things about the effects of those pills.

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I agree!...
    but her argument is always that she <u>does</u> stick to the diet - she never complains about being hungry, but does miss her favourite foods (dumplings seem to score highly with her....and fried chicken....cream/nuts added to curries...and of course these also feature highly when her family come round with food and at family meals!)...it's just that after a few weeks she stops losing weight and then loses heart - what's the point of sticking to a diet and depriving yourself if you don't lose weight.
    Her GP has ruled out any medical reason for not losing weight. So I suspect she is eating a lot more than she knows/admits.....in which case the pills aren't really going to help either!

11. Yep they work, and they can work quite dramatically - I dropped about 3 stone with them plus watching what I ate and going to the gym. They work in the fat-binding way, but they also work in the "oh god if I eat that I'll be on the loo for the next fortnight" way as well - it's quite a substantial disincentive to eat anything remotely greasy.
    In my case they were prescribed to give me an extra "kick" to keep going with the weight loss attempts when I'd hit a plateau and was finding it hard to lose anymore and wanting to give up.

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You need to tell her to watch Secret Eaters on channel 4. The first 2 episodes should be on 4OD. It is amazing how people can delude themselves into thinking that they are eating under 2000 calories when they are actually having over 3000.
    The side-effects of the fat binding pills sound like a very effective incentive though [​IMG]

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Very likely.
    I once worked with someone who was on a diet and swore that she followed it religiously, weighing out everything as per the diet sheets ... and yet was not dropping any weight.
    A colleague asked her to describe the evening meal she'd prepared the day before. It involved weighing a precise amount of cheese and she explained that she kept cutting off pieces until it was the exact weight for the recipe.
    "What did you do with the pieces that you trimmed off?" asked the colleague.
    "Oh, I ate those straight away!" said the women ... and it still didn't dawn on her that that was why the diet was 'failing'!

14. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

3500ish deficit a week = 1lb weight loss. Make that low GI and nutrient dense foods and weight will drop off and you won't get hungry

15. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

good thing she wasn't on those fat-binders!![​IMG]

16. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I'm getting very bored with just trying to cut calories - what is a low gi diet? How could I manage it with a diabetic hubby? (we eat a lot of carbs in our house)

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

A diet with a low glycemic index.

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A few over on Cookery are familiar with GI....plenty of recipes for it to share too!
    From what I know it is fairly similar to the F2 (Low fat, high soluble fibre plan that I favour)....some carbs are p[ermitted....and it should work just fine with a diabetic.

19. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I though low GI foods were the perfect things for diabetics. i know white carbs mess with my blood sugar so always have the lower GI wholemeal stuff. I do have sympathy with people who claim to diet and not lose and i seem to be in the position - three months of religiously weighwatching and only lost 6 bloody pounds.

20. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

low GI foods eg oats,broccoli give you sustained energy so you don't get the energy highs then crash. If you eat these throughout the day your energy levels will remain high even on a low calorie diet, after a while eating this way you will need less and less calories to get you through the day, hence more weight loss - speaking from experience. [​IMG]