1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

fast tracking

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by maths_man_, Sep 15, 2011.

1. At the moment we currently fast track 30 students in year 9 and 10 and do the fsmq in additional maths in year 11. This has now changed. My hod has stopped fast tracking as apparently gove is forcing all students to sit gcses in year 11. Why then are other schools still fast tracking? What will happen to the fsmq? And why the hell is gove doing this when students should clearly sit an exam according to their ability not age!

Thanks

2. At the moment we currently fast track 30 students in year 9 and 10 and do the fsmq in additional maths in year 11. This has now changed. My hod has stopped fast tracking as apparently gove is forcing all students to sit gcses in year 11. Why then are other schools still fast tracking? What will happen to the fsmq? And why the hell is gove doing this when students should clearly sit an exam according to their ability not age!

Thanks

3. DM

DM New commenter

Gove INTENDS to force all students to sit GCSEs in Year 11 but it certainly hasn't happened yet.
    Why can't you just teach the FSMQ alongside GCSE?

4. [I believe] it's the opinion of the FSMQ Chief Examiner and Qualification Manager that students doing this generally do better in both qualifications, because
    • learning the FSMQ syllabus reinforces the concepts required for GCSE,
    • still needing to take their GCSE, the students can't just 'switch off' from maths and see the FSMQ as only a bonus.

5. KYP

KYP New commenter

Is that 'fast tracking' like the students in my new AS Maths class suffered - the ones who haven't a clue how to factorise quadratics, complete the square, manipulate surds, deal with linear functions .... and that's only in the first week.
    I whole-heartedly agree with DM and Kev.