1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fast tracking childrens phonic knowledge?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Feb 11, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi all, I have a couple of children who just aren't picking up phonics, and it's holding them back in every area. For example vowel diagraphs seem to be too much for them... Is there an intervention I could target them with that will effectively fast track them?! Just feel at this rate they'll be going into year 3 none the wiser!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi all, I have a couple of children who just aren't picking up phonics, and it's holding them back in every area. For example vowel diagraphs seem to be too much for them... Is there an intervention I could target them with that will effectively fast track them?! Just feel at this rate they'll be going into year 3 none the wiser!

3. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Sorry cant help but I'd love to know the answer to this too! Glad I'm not on my own!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Basically it's just repetition, repetition, repetition. 5 or 10 mins daily 1-1 using flash cards ...if the child pauses or doesn't know tell them and put the card 2 cards down in the pack so they meet it again fairly quickly and they should recall the sound.

5. If it is just the memorising of the correspondence and a rapid, automatic response with the correct phoneme that you are after (which is, after all the basis of successful decoding) then it could be worth trying a Precision Teaching technique. I have used this with older children who I have despaired of and it does work. I don't see why it wouldn't for younger ones.
    Anyway, you make a 'table' in Word with 60 to 100 cells (actually, 50 might be a more appropriate start for yours - don't want to scare them!) fill the cells with random repetitions of the graphemes you want them to learn (repetitions must be random so they don't just memorise the order of them). I usually start with about 6 graphemes - if you think this too much you could pop in some graphemes which they do know, alongside 3 or 4 to learn, just to pad it out. Then they practise them! Take them home and practise them if possible. Each day they have a practice, then you see how many they can get right in 1 minute and keep a chart of the results. The chart should have a line for correct responses and 1 for incorrect responses (so that the child can see the upward trend of 'correct' and the downward trend of 'incorrect'). It is basically boring old 'drill', but my children have really liked the charting element and seeing that 'correct' line going up [​IMG] We also, together, set a target for each day's improvement and one for when they can have some new graphemes to learn. They like that, too...
    Reassure them if they don't always increase their 'score' each day. Everyone has blips and off days. As long as the trend is upwards, and it is not stressing them, it will be fine.
    As they become secure with the initial set of graphemes, take some out and introduce new ones. Keep popping the 'known' ones in from time to time for revision and monitoring. I alsofind this useful for helping to discriminate similar looking graphemes, such as 'sh', 'ch' and 'ck', or 'aw' and 'ow' -
    Of course, the children should still be getting appropriate decodable books/text to read. There's no point in learning correspondences to automaticity if you don't practise using them for reading[​IMG]

6. I have 5 or 6 who I have printed onto a certain colour each and stick 3 at a time on the door. Every time we walk through that door we practice them and if they know them quickly they have a 'pouch' with "Sounds I know!" and their name on it that they pop it into. If they dont know them I tell them and they practice saying it for a few seconds.
    They quite enjoy that as they have their own colour and pouch, and theres a competative element.

7. An easier way to produce a table is to use this site http://www.johnandgwyn.co.uk/probe.html
    I've used it before, as recommended by our Ed Psych, for precision teaching with high frequency words.

8. I promote masses of 'little and often' recall with Say the Sounds Posters. These can be in folders of the individual children and around the classroom and corridors of the school (for example where children line up) in an enlarged version. Copies can also be sent home for practice at home.
    You can make these throughout the entire phonics sequence
    http://www.phonicsinternational.com/unit1_pdfs/say_the_sounds_posters_unit_1.pdfar
    They also support spelling/writing in the lessons.
    They can be used for 'see the graphemes, say the sounds' and 'hear the sounds, point to the graphemes'.
    They are not dependent upon an adult generating the flash cards sequence and they are not dependent on the phonics session during the day.
    They are also great for the Revisit and Review part of the phonics lesson to ring the changes with flash cards.

9. Thank you! I'm suppose it would work just as well with graphemes

I am, however, [​IMG] that people are still teaching 'sight words' as 'wholes' like this...

10. When children are failing to acquire an appreciation of the sound/symbol relationships, it beggars belief that people are seriously recommending that these children should be subjected to even more of the same rote llearning strategies that have already failied them. This is like saying if the want to make your children good at mathematics, they should recite times tables every day. - and if that doesnt work, get them to recite them two or three times day. Is it any wonder that so many children find school boring.
    The alternative is perceptual learning - it works because unlike rote learning, it is an entirely natural process which exploits the brain's phenomenal capacity to perceive patterns within a mass of complex visual and auditory information. It is based on real science and not the amateurish nonsense that supports the 'phonics' movement.
    In a pilot project focused on the 2010/11 KS2 tests, virtaully every child predicted to achieve Level 3 English in fact achieved Level 4. In the current phase 2 of this project, in a much larger group of schools focused on the 2011/12 KS2 tests, the initiial reports suggest that the results achieved in the pilot study willl be repeated.
    If you want to try an approach which will boost every predicted Level 3 to Level 4 English in the next KS2 tests, email me. There are no costs involved. None whatsoever.

At all costs, you should ignore the phonics dogma that will put these children off reading for life!

www.perceptualliteracy.blogspot.com
    eddiecarron@btconnect.com

11. Msz

With respect Eddie have you ever taught young children to read?
    These are the very children your perceptual learning will fail because they don't connect written and spoken language.

12. To those who have emailed me - there are no catches and no costs. All I would ask is that after you have used the approach for a couple of weeks, post you reactions on the forum. Just let me have your school mailing address.
    Eddie Carron

13. eddiecarron - I have deliberately refrained from entering into any discussion with you on a couple of recent threads on the primary forum because it seemed ill-advised as you were clearly on your own mission.
    However, my concern is that your statements about phonics dogma and lack of research is not founded and you may mislead some teachers by your constant inaccurate statements.
    Application of alphabetic code knowledge and phonics skills for decoding and encoding are the basis of literacy for the vast majority of proficient adults (including the teaching profession) - phonics isn't just for beginning teaching purposes. Thus, this is long-term life chance stuff.
    There are, of course, children who find greater difficulty learning the alphabetic code knowledge and the core skills - but this doesn't mean teachers should turn away from teaching them as they are the very basis of our written language.
    To suggest that children who struggle with learning the code and the skills are then capable of accessing thousands of words, word by word, concept by concept, is really quite extraordinary.
    And to suggest that teachers should turn away from phonics teaching, and from honing their ability to teach phonics effectively even for the strugglers is doing no-one any favours - child or teacher.

14. Perceptual Learning cannot fail - it offers nothing to forget because it requires nothing to be remembered. Percaptual Learing is not a commercail product - it is a naural phenomenon. The fact that 100,000 children leave school every year is testament to the consistent failure of current conventions in the initial teaching of reading. When these 'euraka strategies' fail to deliver what their sponsore promise, they always b;ame teachers and it again it is teachers and not the horrendous rote learning strategy called phonics that is beling blamed.

15. Msz

[​IMG] and how many are you going to fail Eddie ... most children do not learn purely by exposure life would be so simple if that was true

16. When I helped slow readers in Y1 and Y2, I listened to them read a page from their current reading book and, rather than merely helping them to decode the words they stumbled over,
    I made a note of them.
    For any words with irregular spelling, I folded a sheet in half,
    and wrote simpler spellings next to them
    e.g. 'people' | [ peepl ]
    'said' | [ sed ]
    explaining that they were there only to help them to learn to read the tricky words.
    (I never sent home more than 7 at one time, mostly less.)

For any problems with regular sounds for the main graphemes,
    I asked them to practice with words from
    [/URL]
    (which I happen to have on file.)

We tackled just one or two of such problems per session.
    It worked a treat.

17. I dont want to enter into the debate, but there are at least 2 children in my class who struggle with phonic knowledge/blending BUT learn words by shape and pattern. Phonics isn't always the answer. Those children still get the phonics teaching, but I find that they are learning whole words better than they are learning phonics.
    Every child is different and there isn't a one size fits all - but phonics does give the majority the tools to access language.

18. Msz

impulse I am the mother of such a child (and he learnt to read naturally from exposure to text) but it has been detrimental to his writing and if I could turn the clock back I would have ensured he had secure phonic knowledge.