1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fast-track to leadership?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by eoinmccormick, Oct 14, 2015.

1. eoinmccormick

eoinmccormick New commenter

Hi all, I'm due to finish my PGCE in secondary Maths in February. I wanted to know what would be the quickest route for me to get into leadership in schools. I have 16 years experience working in other fields.
    Essentially my question is how do i progress quickly?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

1) Become an outstanding teacher

2) Work collaboratively with colleagues to spread good practice

3) Become 2 i/c Maths after a few years

4) Become HoD Maths after a few more years

5) Take on whole-school projects that impact on large numbers of pupils and complete them successfully

6) Go into Senior Leadership

It's a bit like baking bread, actually. You need time to rise. ;)

Best wishes

3. MrTeacher100

MrTeacher100 New commenter

Why the rush? Take the time to learn your trade and don't try to run before you can walk.

If you want to progress quickly, I'd advice mastering your craft and becoming a good teacher. Then, I'd say apply for head of department jobs in smaller schools. They is a shortage of maths teacher, and as a result a shortage of applicants for head of department posts. From their, you could move to head of department in a larger school. You then need to take on projects which will make a whole school impact (leading on something on the school development / improvement plan or an area highlighted as being weak in a recent inspection always looks good on a CV). Then, you could start to think about look for SLT posts, but only once you have a track record of the department you lead (maths) achieving exceptional results.
    Hope I've helped,

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Firstly, spend at least five years learning what teaching is all about, how to do it, what works, what doesn't work, build your subject knowledge etc.

Then see how you feel

DYNAMO67 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sycophancy, arrogance, self-promotion, they usually work.

Your 16 years of experience will probably work against you as you might have some ideas of your own rather than swallowing anything you are told and wagging your tail ask asking for more.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why did you become a teacher if you don't want to teach?

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Is what everyone's thinking but didn't want to ask...

CWadd and monicabilongame like this.
  8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don't have an issue with ambition at all, but you are not even a teacher yet. In this industry you can't just be parachuted in, regardless of the knowledge you think you have. Teaching is a bit of a artform really. You have to master it before you can tell others how to do it. It maybe isn't like other jobs you have done.

CWadd and TonyGT like this.
  9. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Just to add to Theo Griff's post:

7) Work in a failing school

Failing or struggling schools are usually awful places to work in and so you can pretty much guarantee a massive turnover of staff. All you have to do is keep your cool wait for the HOD to implode and the job's yours.

It sounds ridiculous but if you were just desperate to climb any old ladder (as it sounds like it) then special measures/one Ofsted visit away from special measures schools are where it's at.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You've chosen to start a new career - this means starting at the bottom and then working up, I'm afraid...

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good point, @TonyGT !

Best wishes

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A former HoD I knew did that, within a year he was on gardening leave in a "we'll give you a reference and pay you to the end of the year, but please don't come to work" sort of way.

13. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

Any fast-track system to leadership should be fitted with a flush.

Katierobertson and CWadd like this.