1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fast track New GCSE Spanish course

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by angiekw, Sep 6, 2016.

1. angiekw

angiekw New commenter

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I am trying to write the Scheme of Work for the new GCSE Spanish course (we are using AQA) but am struggling with trying to fit in the new specification and the basics that students will need. We are running a two year from scratch course and a three year from scratch course. Both of these courses have two hours a week teaching time. If you have any ideas I'd be most grateful.
    Thank you
    Angie

2. helenmay

helenmay New commenter

HI I wondered if you'd had any help with this. We are in this position for September, 2 years from scratch, taught after school. There are some resources around but seem to match old spec. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

3. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

The new course is challenging. OUP and Pearson both provide SoWs with there course books but I think you'll struggle to fit it into the available time.

4. estrella7

estrella7 New commenter

We teach IGCSE Spanish in 2 years at our school also seeing students twice a week. I have been running the course for 3 years now and am only just getting to the point where I feel I can finally look at my SoW knowing it's almost on track. That said, it really is a working document! I was looking over it this morning with my colleague and we still have to move topics/grammar around for September. We also struggle with text books as it's an accelerated course so there is a lot of dipping in and out of 3 books at the moment. Not ideal but we are getting better at it.

Thankfully the majority of our students don't drop Spanish and make a huge effort to learn everything. Our results are great, and that is all down to them working so hard, and us adapting and reflecting on our teaching year on year. It still amazes me that almost half of our students achieve A*/As in such a short time. All I can suggest is that you go back to your SoW as often as you can and adapt it as you go. If you can perfect it in less time than me, I will be seeking your advice! Good luck :)

5. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

The main problem you'll have is the wide range of skills needed for the new GCSE - the oral alone requires general conversation, picture cards and role play, and there are additional skills in the other papers - translation both ways for starters. That's before you get to the higher standard!