1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fast Food Babies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chicabonita, May 3, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

BBC3
    Anyone else watching this? Two families shown so far- two 19-month-old babies who are eating 3000 calories a day- nothing but fast food in their diets. For different reasons, but the end result is the same.
    I can't believe parents (particularly the first family) would do this- but they do, and no-one is calling it neglect or abuse, which surely it is?

2. chicabonita

BBC3
    Anyone else watching this? Two families shown so far- two 19-month-old babies who are eating 3000 calories a day- nothing but fast food in their diets. For different reasons, but the end result is the same.
    I can't believe parents (particularly the first family) would do this- but they do, and no-one is calling it neglect or abuse, which surely it is?

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

And if they know about it ( which they clearly do because they're filming it) shouldn't someone like a HV have intervened ?
    (I'm not watching it though so maybe they have.)

4. chicabonita

The programme is about the intervention they're now getting.
    This 18-year-old mother has a year ago had a heart attack- no cause other than diet. And she hasn't changed it!

5. I'm really pleased that my little grandson loves fruit and veg and eats a really healthy diet.
    However, if you were ever in the car with us you would swear he's a fast food junky. He screams out 'McDonalds' every time we pass one.
    I actually take him once a month when I get paid and only because he doesn't like the food and never eats it. I do and eat mine and his. He loves going wants his Happy Meal toy and a drink, a colouring sheet and crayons. Oh and a few pennies to put in the whirly charity box.
    If he starts liking the food we may have to stop going.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Bloody hell. No doubt she'll be feeding the same crud to her sprog.
    What will happen if she doesn't change her child's diet?

7. It's made me feel a lot better about my four year old's diet!

8. chicabonita

It's hard to believe that people are so ignorant of what diet does to you; and that they're willing to be on TV showing what their parenting is like [​IMG]

9. Do these kids run around? My kids actually ate very little at that age and would possibly have eaten more if I'd been able to afford the then quite expensive ready-made tasty sh1t. But by the time they were four they were eating like horses. A balanced meal topped up with anything they could get their hands on. But they ran around a lot. They played out even in the rain. They played with older boys and had to keep up. Pair of chopsticks.

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The Jeremy Kyle syndrome. Airing stuff on national TV that most people would rather die before admitting.

11. chicabonita

Only one of the children actually eats at a table with his family, as well. The other two are parked on the sofa to eat with their fingers. Is it just me or is there something intrinsically wrong with that and very sad about it?

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I think they sometimes know that it's bad, but don't know what the alternatives are.
    They don't know how to cook vegetables.

13. If their own parents, and the ones they see on Jeremy Kyle, and those around them are the same, they probably don't realise how dire they are.

14. In my last school there weren't any children in my class with a dining table. The first few days of each new term were always horrendous in the lunch hall as they would all either eat with their hands or shove their faces straight onto the plate and eat like animals.
    That was their experience of eating and we had to put a lot of work in to teach them how to eat properly!

15. To be honest I am not at all surprised.
    I teach in an 'average' school and children regularly turn up with their only breakfast having been an energy drink (the knock off Red Bull sort of stuff) which stinks, and cheap crisps, which smell even worse! I don't even know if it's something recent, I can remember being at primary school and I was the only child who didn't eat chips in an average week.
    My own child has very little 'junk' really but does have ice cream on warm days and chocolate sometimes but I don't mind that. I don't like sweets or fizzy drinks for children at all though.

16. It is a very sad state of affairs when parents are so clueless about food.
    We were lucky if ours had anything to eat since the lunch at school the day before.

17. chicabonita

There's nothing wrong with treats, occasionally, but when it's your whole diet-!
    Anyhoo...

18. Oh no I know, I agree. The problem is though that parents tend to give children what they eat themselves and if the parents don't eat well, neither will the children. And, to be fair, if you've very little money you give what you know the children will eat (doesn't explain why they can afford takeaways though, and I bet most of them smoke)

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Interesting stuff. I missed the programme myself but will see if I can catch up on the iplayer. We're all talking about fast food and healthier alternatives that taste similar and take as long to prepare as it takes to visit a takeaway over on the Cookery forum. Cheaper too. Why don't you all come and join us and share your own ideas?

20. I grew up on junk food, however it was rationed. I could only have one packet of crisps per day, and one chocolate bar. Dinners weren't particularly healthy - fish fingers / burgers and chips etc. However,the portion sizes were appropriate for my size / age. In addition I was a very active child. As an adult, I think I have a very healthy attitude to food - I never diet but still eat junk food if I fancy it, although I stick to the 'rules' I was taught as a child.

It makes me so angry that these children will have health problems because of their size, but their parents aren't held accountable in the same way as parents whose children have health problems because they have neglected their children and not fed them.