1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

farewell to supply...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Oldfashioned, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Well for a year. After knock backs and not even getting interviews I have secured a 12 month contract! I have been on supply for four years and been skint for four years. I've tried many times to get back in on a proper contract but without luck.

I am going to be working 0.8 which gives me a day to build my business and hopefully get out of teaching. I really thought the supply tag had ruined my chances but apparently a lack of candidates this time of year made me seem ok. I'll take it.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations Oldfashioned, that is good news for you. :D

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Well done and good luck.

5. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Thank you all.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

I am back from week 2 of my new job and looking back at what I have achieved I may as well have taken up that offer of a days supply or the last minute call for work I received enroute. Everyone I wanted to speak to today was either in a meeting or not in, promises to ring me back were also not kept. It would appear as this is how it always is so I have no idea how I will make any real progress as everything keeps getting put back, very frustrating.

It has been lovely here all day so the plan was to come home and mow the lawn. Within 2 minutes of being in the car it began to pour down so now that is on hold also.

Well done OldFashioned, I bet you are well chuffed, no money worries for an year.

7. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Congratulations, Oldfashioned. I'm so happy for you.

Oldfashioned and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Congratulations!

9. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

Wishing you the very best of luck! Hope it all goes well.

10. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

If there is no prospect of a permanent job or you don't want to stay there, consider applying abroad. There are good schools around the world looking for good teachers.

11. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Good stuff. I built a business and am still getting there. I took the plunge and then did "the odd thing for extra money". It's starting to roll now but is a bit patchy, so I do some supply to keep the bank topped up. The danger with doing perm work when you are attempting to go solo is that you'll sit down in the comfy seat.

I'm on £500 a day when I'm on. Got to not sit in the comfy seat!

agathamorse likes this.