1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Farewell Teaching

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vimto83, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Vimto83

Vimto83 New commenter

The time has come. Our relationship has been a full 10 years. Let’s not pretend it’s been a smooth ride. In fact, the bad times have outweighed the good but for better or worse we have endured the rollercoaster together. Now the journey’s over.

During our precious ‘good’ times we rode a silver cloud, inspiring the minds of young people through imaginative learning and memorable experiences. However, these times were scarce. During the bleakest times you drove me into the deepest depths of depression and anxiety and to consider self-harm. These times have been painfully numerous. I am scarred and bruised from the abusive relationship we have had. You have scrutinised me, monitoring my every move and providing unachievable targets that consume my every waking moment. You have placed continuous and exacting demands upon me, affecting my quality of sleep, relationships and general life. You have robbed me of my evenings, large parts of my weekends and tied me to taking time off on your terms.

Your expectations and goalposts have changed constantly and often without warning over the last 10 years. I am tired and, seeing no sign of this easing, I want to get off this ride.

You have no power over me anymore. I am walking away and the only regret I have is that you and your associates have consistently ignored the welfare of me and my contemporaries, paying lip service to online and phone counselling services, but never truly investing in our own mental health and wellbeing. I did want to make things work but no sooner did I find my stride than you pulled the rug from under my feet, making me doubt myself once more. I am too tired of this cycle now.

I know it’s been hard for you too. You have been required to do more with fewer resources and the stresses have taken their toll on you too. I am sorry for this, however now it’s time for me to look after my own needs and break the bond that has been slowly destroying me.

It is terrifying to be walking away from you not really knowing who or what I will go to next. What I do know is that it is the right decision taken at the right time. In another lifetime we could have made it: we could have had something so strong and effective. We could have achieved the inspirational aims we always hoped we would accomplish. But it wasn’t meant to be forever so it’s with a heavy heart that I bid you farewell. Onwards and upwards.

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

3. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Good luck.
    There is life after teaching and there are other careers. Hope you find something soon.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sign of the times.

A friend of mine who I taught with 15 years ago has just packed in after a long period off with WRS.

Shedman, Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Good luck!

Shedman, Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Wishing you all good things in your future. You sound like a clear-sighted person, so I think you will be fine.
    A brave step, clearly taken with reluctance, but you will look back in the future and be glad you took it.
    Sadly. Education's loss. Again.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Could have written this myself and indeed, am following the same path at the end of this academic year.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Been there, done that, nine years ago this month. No regrets, and (most importantly) still smiling. Still helping others to learn too.

A very moving and lucid account there @Vimto83 - my best wishes for the next bit. Like you say, onwards and upwards.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Good luck @Vimto83 I'm sure anyone who teaches or has taught in the last 10 years can empathise with that. I got out 4 years ago and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.

When you're back on your feet again you'll probably look back and wonder why you stuck it out for so long. It's probably part of the psyche of people who become teachers to stay with things too long on the downward slope as we're convinced that things will get better, often the actual result is that you just bounce along the bottom of the barrel when it doesn't have to be like that.

10. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Good luck with whatever you choose to do next.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  11. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

A very moving account that most of us on here can definitely relate to. Good luck and you have made the right decision!

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Have you considered setting up a service that writes divorce letters on behalf of parting couples?

agathamorse likes this.
  13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I think this is the sort of letter that should be sent to newspapers and to the Dof E or better still to your local Mp's leaders of political parties and all who might faintly take an interest. We as teachers and ex-teachers can sympathise with you totally. How life on the workforce has changed over the years. How performance targets have replaced most things and staff in some schools are mere objects to be used and discarded as the need demands, and in which the individual's matters not, and the rise of Borg culture has arisen in which you obey the hive. and not your personal methods and beliefs.
    I just hope you find a future whch brings you satisfaction and joy.

14. moose2

moose2 New commenter

Beautifully written, an experience many of us have tolerated for far too long. Go and live your life.

15. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

Well written. Needs to go on social media.

cali13, Dragonlady30 and agathamorse like this.
  16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I couldn't have written this, it is far too eloquent and moving and lacks references to bodily parts and functions. It is so elegant and restrained - I'd have resorted to sarcasm and rant within the first couple of sentences. I wonder if anyone ever has the b* lls to read this out as their leaving speech. It would certainly highlight a few home truths.

As Duke of York says:

Yes, it does read like an elegy, a lament for departed hopes and dreams wreathed in sorrow and wistful yearning for what might have been.

cali13, cissy3 and agathamorse like this.
  17. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Sometimes you come to a crossroads in your life. Which way to take needs to be thought about carefully, but once you've made up your mind, think positively and look forward to the future. Good luck on your chosen path.

18. Vimto83

Vimto83 New commenter

I am bowled over by the number of responses and kind comments from people. Thank you. It's really touched a nerve how so many of you sympathise and have had similar experiences. It means a lot and makes me realise I should be posting online more rather than trying to battle it alone. Maybe I should start my own teacher support consultancy!

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Absolutely right for two reasons. It's no good to anyone if they feel trapped and miserable. You have to take back control of your destiny; and that's not going to happen through an intransigent employer, the only way to control your destiny is to leave.

The other reason is that new career paths lead to new challenges to overcome and new skills to acquire, which ultimately result in greater personal satisfaction.

agathamorse and JosieWhitehead like this.
  20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You'd have plenty of takers!