1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO TheoGriff / anyone who can help - resignation

Discussion in 'Independent' started by FrenchFlower, Mar 13, 2011.

1. FrenchFlower

FrenchFlower New commenter

Sorry to trouble you and sorry if this has been mentioned on here before.

I have enjoyed my last two years at my current prep school but applied for a post in a boarding prep school as HOD and was offered the post at the end of last week. I intend to accept this post, have spoken to my current Head and am now in the process of writing my letter of resignation.

Of course I shall be positive, I will thank my Head etc, but I just wish to check - the appointment will be from September 2011, do I say that I resign with effect from 31st August 2011, or from Easter? Not sure of dates?!

I do like my current school but am looking forward to the new role and challenge. I will work as hard as I can of course at my current school for the rest of term but am very nervous about handing in my notice. Being a small school there will be a lot of gossip around me leaving, probably lots of people thinking I am doing the wrong thing. Any advice/experience here would be fab too.

Thanks

Sorry if I am being dim!

Best Wishes and thanks

2. FrenchFlower

Sorry to trouble you and sorry if this has been mentioned on here before.

I have enjoyed my last two years at my current prep school but applied for a post in a boarding prep school as HOD and was offered the post at the end of last week. I intend to accept this post, have spoken to my current Head and am now in the process of writing my letter of resignation.

Of course I shall be positive, I will thank my Head etc, but I just wish to check - the appointment will be from September 2011, do I say that I resign with effect from 31st August 2011, or from Easter? Not sure of dates?!

I do like my current school but am looking forward to the new role and challenge. I will work as hard as I can of course at my current school for the rest of term but am very nervous about handing in my notice. Being a small school there will be a lot of gossip around me leaving, probably lots of people thinking I am doing the wrong thing. Any advice/experience here would be fab too.

Thanks

Sorry if I am being dim!

Best Wishes and thanks

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

You're ending your contract for end of August (or 1st September) so that's the date you should put in your letter, as you said in your original post. By contract you need to give your letter before the start of the Easter holidays, that's all.
    Don't feel too nervous! People move on all the time, and if it's a new role it's a perfectly acceptable reason to leave. You're not married to your job!
    Have you thought about when to tell the kids? The first time I moved on I didn't make it clear enough that I wanted it to be kept under wraps until towards the end of the summer term (I didn't want the kids to know too early) and my head then gave the game away in front of some pupils! It doesn't necessarily matter whether they know or not, but in certain schools pupils might feel like you're abandoning them, so you might want to be specific to your colleagues in terms of when to announce it officially (or if you can't trust them to not gossip, then at least ask your head to keep it confidential until further notice).

4. FrenchFlower

Thank you Noemie.

I have written a nice and positive letter, saying thank you etc. This has all been in the open so there will be no surprise but wanted to take the time to thank my Head for the time he has afforded me and trust he has placed in me. I do think he will be annoyed as he has said he does not want me to go. Not sure what others will say, but then again I don't really care. As long as the Head is ok, I work as I always do and the children are ok then that is all that matters. Of course I suppose I will have to explain to the parents, as we have a close relationship with them at our school, but I will be sure to say that it is because of career progression rather than any problems at the school, which is the truth.

I think I will say to the Head that I wish to tell the children after Easter. I will talk to him about it. I really don't want them to feel I am abandoning them, especially as I have, together with another teacher, managed to get a group of girls to stay on into year 7 (they traditionally leave in Year 6) for the first time in great numbers.

Thanks again

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sounds as though this has been all sorted while I was out doing seminars in TES HQ in Kondon.
    Many congratulations on the new job!
    Best wishes
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!