1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO shoppers in France

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Feb 16, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

as a French teacher and dedicated Francophile, I have my own list of things I always buy when I hit the supermarket in France.

Tues 22nd will see me "hit" Auchan with a clear credit card and a bootful of space! What do you buy? Maybe you can inspire me to some different purchases?

H

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'd happily just fill my boot with wine, Armagnac, mousse de canard, rilletes de porc and a load of saucisson...maybe a tarte aux pommes for pud upon return...and a Reblochon and a Vacherin or two...

3. Mon Dieu!
    I haven't popped into France for a good while, so some inspiration would be good. I tend to pop into to Holland or Lux.
    Now then...France. I think of ....cheese!
    And exercise books with pink pages. That is just well weird.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

Well, against all odds (winter vomiting bug has hit the family recently) I am going tomorrow.
    Having just watched Raymond, I was wondering about getting some squid; I cannot eat mussels anymore ([​IMG]) and a live lobster seems a bit cruel with a 4 hour drive from supermarket to home.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

Oh my word, did we have fun!!!
    €180 on Rosé wine, 6l sirop, beer, Badoit (I worked it out to be worth over £500 at Sainsbury's prices!) [​IMG]
    €130 on school shoes for the children, glasses, clothes in the sale (€5/t shirt; €10/jeans) (school shoes alone would have cost £70)
    €100 on the other foodie bits - I have a fridge full of cheese, jambon cru, pâté, olive oil, vinegars, coffee, sweets for my classes etc etc etc [​IMG]
    Daughter and I went alone in the end and had a whale of a time: I love having an 11-year old: so much more fun than a little girl!!!!! [​IMG]

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

A friend popped round the other day and gulped at how much I had bought and disbelieved the savings, so I have been really sad/geeky and worked it all out! [​IMG]
    I sent €504 which is equivalent to £427 + pennies; having trawled the Sainsbury's website (I usually shop in Sainsbury's) with Waitrose for the special bits (which is where I would go to get them if buying them here) my bill would have come to £890!! [​IMG]
    I spent £44 on the ticket and about £25 in petrol + driving time (2hrs each way in UK; 30 mins each way in France) + lunch out (€18 for the 2 of us). In addition we had a good "bonding" day.
    Well worth it I'd say! (and a good way to spend my backdated progression pay-rise!)

7. I can well believe you saved money - I compare German prices with UK prices regularly and am glad I buy here!

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I'm completely out of touch with British prices so have had a quick look on Sainsbury's online: I was stunned at the prices for produce, meat and wine !
    Have things rocketed up in price over the last few years or what ? I'm sure things were not so expensive.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Did you fill up with petrol as well? We found it much cheaper.

10. landaise

Petrol is now around 1.50 a litre, diesel was 1.32€ last weekend, it's gone shooting up in the last month !

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

"UK food prices are rising more rapidly than most other developed economies' food prices, and have significantly outstripped food retailers' cost inflation,' they said.
    Analysts at the Swiss bank found <u>prices in Britain were rising at an annual rate of 4.9 per cent</u> - against 3.6 per cent in Germany, a euro zone average of 1.8 per cent and a U.S. increase of 1.5 per cent "
    and there we are with a 0% payrise!!.

12. landaise

The days of annual pay rises are gone, I fear. But then it is not the norm everywhere. My husband has had his first pay rise in three years this year.
    I know that wholesale prices of wheat and other staples have risen but that doesn't account for the differences in price we're talking about. Greedy supermarkets are probably more responsible.

13. My company does an annual pay rise but it is an incremental point system - not just a rise of x% - and it can mean you go without a pay rise at all.
    Coincidentally, there was a programme on German TV last night discussing rising prices (and whether the Euro is to blame).
    They studied 250 products, including staples, comparing the prices over a 10 year period and prices have actually gone down since the introduction of the Euro and those that have risen, have risen less than the inflation rate.
    What has changed in household budgets is the amount of money spent on white goods and media goods. Mobile phone bills and flat rates and graphic cards and blue ray and plasma tvs, leasing rates for cars, etc.
    What many people forget (such was the message of the study) is that they have less money left in their purses to spend on food because they are spending more of their take-home pay on products they were not spending on at all ten years ago. This leads to the feeling that food prices have increased, when they actually (provenly!) haven't!