1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO Regents or AQA aficionados - (new) GCSE Lit Unit 3 query

Discussion in 'English' started by englishtt06, Jun 29, 2011.

1. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I am embarking on Unit 3 of the AQA Lit – Shakespeare and the Literary Heritage. It says we can compare a play with a a text from any genre and there is mention of poetry in the guides. I know this is akin to asking 'how long is a piece of string?' but could anyone give me a rough idea of the number of poems expected? I was going to aim for 3-5 as time is very much of the essence and (after doing my Year 11 plan today) I realise that Year 11 is quite an intensive year. I have tried searching the forum but the TES search tool isn’t good friends with our school internet provider, so apologies in advance for any duplication.
    Thanks
    English TT

PS Does anyone happen to know if there is an electronic version of the Lit Anthology on e-aqa?

2. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Regents at your service [​IMG]
    QCDA define a poetry text as 15 poems, which means that your students should study 15 poems. However, they only need to write about 2 or 3 to compare with the Shakespeare, so a perfectly good task would be to study a range of sonnets then students compare 2 or 3 of them to Shakespear's use of the sonnet form in R&J. "Studying" a range of sonnets does not mean they all have to be covered in class. I would advise close study of say, 3 -5 sonnets in class, with students reading and responding to the others independently for homework, by making notes on them, storyboarding them, creating a powerpoint based on them...
    There is a digital anthology with all the anthology contents plus a range of interactive resources available on eAQA.
    Hope this helps - best of luck.

3. englishtt06

Rejents - many thanks for a speedy and comprehensive response. I am teaching RJ from a conflict perspective so will be looking for thematic links with other poems: poems that explore the ideas of conflicts in love and family, as well as prejudice and misunderstandings. Any ideas anyone else in terms of poems to use? Am usually brimming with ideas but end-of-(Oftsed)year-itis has truly set in! I know the WJEC new spec were making similar links but I don't have a copy of their anthology to hand! Curses!

4. To clarify, if your students are doing Unit 2 (Poetry Across Time) then they cannot use their study of, say the Conflict cluster for comparison in Unit 3.
    Personally, I've done conflict in Macbeth, The Laboratory and My Last Duchess (MLD is in the Character and Voice cluster, but my students are studying for Unit 2 Relationships, so that's OK).

Tiddly pip...

5. englishtt06

Thank you Beldo - very useful!

I have tracked down a copy of the Anthology so it is all a little clearer. I just have one more point of clarification (Rejects?). I am teaching conflict with RJ and (as yet to be selected) poems. Most likely, I will not use the poems grouped under conflict within the Anthology. My question is thus - if conflict is the focus of the coursework (with a complete different set of poems), can they still study the conflict cluster for the exam? Is there an issue with using the same focus but different texts? I appreciate the benefits of a broad brush and to keep the curriculum as varied as possible, but unfortunately the spoken language study took twice as long as predicted and we are behind. Year 11 will be tight as it is so the more things dovetail, the better. They are a weak C/D borderline group who lack confidence, so a thorough grounding in the concept of conflict could stand them in good stead. All that said, I like the look of the Characters and Voice section too, so watch this space!

6. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Absolutely fine - no issue at all.

Thanks Beldo for the clarification on not using the same poems as those for Unit 2. I forgot![​IMG]