1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO Princess_Moose RE: The Book of Mormon

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rockmeamadeus, Feb 21, 2012.

1. I would go and see this as it looks really interesting However it's by the creators of south park which I simply can not stand - being, as it is, without any moral compass or anything intelligent to say - the worst sort of comedy that just points the finger at everything and goes "nah! nah! nah! how stupid are they with their religion/ethics/science/education/alternative lifestyles etc." It has no contribution to make to any debate and the worst thing about it is that it obviously believes it is being really clever. It actually reminds me of some types of bullying.
    So, lover of musicals that I am (that sounds like a euphamism, but it isn't) I might give it a miss.
    I think it would make me feel like I felt when I watched Jerry Springer the Musical.
    By the way, the new Muppets Film kind of falls into the same categroy of thinking it is something it is not simply because it is imitating something much better - hope that makes sense.

2. I am so excited! If I don't get tickets I may cry!!!!

*starts singing ...I belieeeeeeveeeeeeeeeee*

3. musicismyreligion

musicismyreligion New commenter

rockmeamadeus, I thought that... then I listened to the soundtrack and am now curious to see it!

4. I take your point but I do think that sometimes it depends on why you are going to the theatre. Sometimes it's not about a piece having anything particularly intelligent to say but just about making you laugh. I'm also into that experience of finding out how you react to things. A bit like when someone tells you a joke you shouldn't find funny but you know that your automatic reaction is to laugh.
    Are you telling me that bringing the Klu Klux Klan on stage and then having them break into a tap dance/kick line is not your cup of tea? I was crying with laughter. Personally I have no issue with ridiculing something such as them, I think in some ways its actually quite theraputic.
    I do take your point though. Sometime writers such as these guys do seem to write things which are gratuitally offensive just for the sake of it.