1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO Old(er) teachers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kittylion, Feb 22, 2012.

1. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I am 56 and still working full-time in a bog-standard high school (11-16) as an ordinary classroom teacher and I am KNACKERED!!!

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I agree, and might add diet as one of our variables (a variable that we largely have control over).
    Nothing unusual about that, for anyone of any age.
    Only if you don't feel you are meeting the needs of your pupils and the school . . . . but from what you say . . .
    that's not the case.
    This could be a whole mixture of things and not wholly down to your workload.
    Being in constant pain is bound to play a huge part.

3. I live with that fear. I hate the thought of becoming decrepit and immobile....ugh!
    I retired early so I could have a decent quality of life...however I have discovered it would be a lot more decent right now with a decent income to back it up! Swings and roundabouts I guess....
    I think if we feel worn out, tired and pressured constantly then ill health is more likely to take hold....we wear ourselves out physically and mentally and have less resistance to disease if our bodies are constantly knackered. I speak from experience..
    Polli...you obviously love what you are doing. (I still miss the 'teaching' element of teaching and working with youngsters...) so life remains rich for you. I'd feel tempted to carry on if I were you....as long as you are enjoying wat you are doing. I am guessing that lots of workers (even those much younger than you) also suffer from exhaustion and pressure. Some pressure is good for us...(now I have very little pressure and it's almost counter-productive!) It's when you feel stressed and overwhelmed by it that you should call it a day I think.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I will keep that in mind if the subject matter ever arises again [​IMG]

5. I'm 35 and permanently knackered! I can't see myself lasting until 67 [​IMG]

6. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Polly, I don't think this level of tiredness is normal for someone your age. You could be anaemic, it's amazing how tiredness can go after a course of iron tablets. Without trying to alarm you, my brother-in-law died 2 weeks ago at the age of 61. He was out walking and had a heart attack, he was seemingly fit and well but had been tired since Christmas. That was obviously the sign of something wrong. I would get yourself checked out.

7. ref

ref

I'm 58 and work full time as deputy head and year 4 teacher in a primary school. I still have lots of energy, though I do get really tired and I think it takes me longer to recover than when I was younger. However, I see colleagues who are much younger than me and I think that I have more energy than they have!

8. I'm 40 this year and have always had the energy to do the job between September and the clocks going back and from about mid-March to the end of the school year. It's the bit when I have to get up in the dark that I find I can't do nearly so well. (Dark evenings have never bothered me, it's getting up in the dark that I find a crippler. Can I carry on to retirement? Probably not if the government f*** about with my pension and make me work longer. Will add one thing, though, I always have a nap when I get in - OK, I have no family and children to get in the way - it's something I've done since I was at uni: without it, I'm in bed by 8pm or completely knackered the following day. No, I don't go out during the week!

9. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Thank you so much for all your replies. I do have to say that come the weekends, I sleep in late, till at least 7.30, then get up and spend the day with my chainsaw in the bush, or doing heavy gardening or similar, and don't take a nap - so it must be school!

10. No, no no AE...do not comment....do not comment....[​IMG]

Sorry for chuckling Polly...but isn't that a bit drastic?
    I know you are Down Under...(cough) but really....there must be a chemist within reach? [​IMG]

*hits self*
    *runs away*

11. LOL! I was more shocked at the concept of 7.30 as a lie in!

12. Im 25 and Im often falling asleep watchin TV in the evenings! I also always have a Saturday lie in at least 11 (half 7 is not a lie in!!).

13. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Energy levels depend on what else fulfilling or otherwise is going on in your life and if what you do is appreciated and valued by who you do it for. Sadly for many in teaching that is not the case at the moment x