1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO: Middlemarch and other headteachers

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dominant_tonic, Jan 12, 2012.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

hi. Thanks for checking the thread.
    Given the current difficult jobs situation I am re-assessing what to do re: applications.
    • I am looking for an NQT post.
    • I am currently doing supply, maybe 2/3 days a week.
    Question: Would you be more inclined to take on someone who had scant supply exerience, or an NQT who had worked as a classroom assistant?
    I am beginning to think, that in order to improve my appliations I would be better off with a Teaching Assistant post in my work history, thus meaning I can provide a proper reference from a school who knows me and has worked with me/seen the standard of my work for a block period, rather than a) relying on what are fast beoming out of date references, because nobody wants a supply reference.
    I would really welcome your views, as I appreciate the frankness you show on these boards, and the experience you are so willing to share with us all.
    Thanks again,
    domton.

2. dominant_tonic

hi. Thanks for checking the thread.
    Given the current difficult jobs situation I am re-assessing what to do re: applications.
    • I am looking for an NQT post.
    • I am currently doing supply, maybe 2/3 days a week.
    Question: Would you be more inclined to take on someone who had scant supply exerience, or an NQT who had worked as a classroom assistant?
    I am beginning to think, that in order to improve my appliations I would be better off with a Teaching Assistant post in my work history, thus meaning I can provide a proper reference from a school who knows me and has worked with me/seen the standard of my work for a block period, rather than a) relying on what are fast beoming out of date references, because nobody wants a supply reference.
    I would really welcome your views, as I appreciate the frankness you show on these boards, and the experience you are so willing to share with us all.
    Thanks again,
    domton.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

2/3 days' supply per week isn't 'scant' in my book - what's more, if it's getting you into different schools then it's extending your experience in ways that taking a TA post in one school will not.
    I'd happily look at applications from a teacher with either type of experience - but my instinct is towards the one with supply which is, after all, possibly the hardest teaching experience you can get. Certainly, I'd be very interested in good references from heads who have benefited from your work on supply.
    I will also add that I've given permanent jobs to more than one teacher who has come in on supply regularly or for a longer period of time, simply because the opportunity to see them work first-hand for more than just a half hour interview lesson tells me much more than the false 'interview day'.

4. dominant_tonic

Thanks Middlemarch.
    That's what I thought initially, but was beginning to wonder. I am holding on to a hops that I will get some long ter - at which point I can see the benefit of a reference, but at the moment it is day-to-day supply.
    Okay, that clarifies my thoughts somewhat. I will continue with he day-to-day supply, in the hope that a long-term supply post will become available if a full time post is not forthcoming.
    Thanks once more for replying Middlemarch,
    domton

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

dominat_tonic, as you know I'm<u> neither</u> Middlemarch nor a Head, just a humble supply like yourself.
    However I would just like to say that, although I've yet to score a permanent post, <u>ALL</u> the long-term posts I've had over the past 10 years have always been as a result of working in a school longer term on supply! All were long-term sickness and in every case, because I was prepared to stay an indefinite period until the colleague was fit enough to return, including a phased-in return, the staff member was able to return, hence no job to offer me, so unfortunately I have not been as fortunate as some of Middlemarch' employees.
    If you are getting 2-3 days a week I would stay stick with the supply, it can open doors. For me I haven't now had a call since the start of the New school year last Sept, so I am having to look at CS / TA whatever but if Iwas still getting as much as I used to I would still be sticking with supply.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

D_T, if you are doing 2/3 days a week supply, you are doing extremely well! That's great going.
    Keep it up - it is a difficult job, and you can be proud of it.
    Let me remind you of how important it is not to underplay the benefits of supply in any application.
    Supply is no easy option and gives a great deal of professional development. I always have had a great deal of time for those who have done supply.
    Are you presenting this positively, therefore, in your applications?
    Let's look at what you gain from doing supply. The supply teaching has given you flexibility and versatility, allowed you to observe a variety of different classroom practices and learn from them,, improved your classroom management skills from dealing with a wide range of different pupils, from the too-compliant to the downright difficult. You have gained self-reliance, have learnt to work co-operatively with colleagues in different types of schools, you are able to deal with difficult situations (and difficult people), you have experience of a wide range of year groups. You have become a much more effective teacher than you were before, and are very grateful for these opportunities.

Are you setting all this out in the letter, right at the beginning, getting it all in before you even mention the word "Supply"?

Since successfully completing my PGCE in xxx I have been able to acquire etc etc etc through a series of contracts as a supply teacher. (You can easily write a whole paragraph on the benefits of supply and what it will enable you to bring to this school).
    Make sure that you get someone who you've worked for in a school to write one of your references, and get him/her to include the phrase "Would appoint without hesitation if I had a vacancy". Get into your letter that schools asked for you by name from the agency (but only if true, not if not!), that you had repeat postings because you were a valued colleague.
    In other words, don't be apologetic, supply is great preparation for the day-to-day of teaching.
    And I do hope that you are noting all those posters who say "the executive summary worked for me - I got no interviews until I used it"
    Very best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars