1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO Lara mfl

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Fingers, toes, and anything else that will, are well and truly crossed, bon chance mon ami. By the way I have no idea if that was right - us scientists don't do language (even English sometimes).

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Why thanks. Well remembered and well tried for attempting the French -it's certainly better than my Science, which is definitely my weakest curriculum area ( I can manage KS2 but practicals,Physics or Chemistry at KS3 leave a lot to be desired!).
    I'm happy with my lesson plan now (thanks to Theo's good advice and the book 'Pimp your lesson') and prompt Express delivery from a well-known book supplier for a copy of a book I wanted to use and couldn't find my own copy. (I wanted to use a book which hopefully the children won't have come across).
    Now just got to look at my interview preparation, printing off my flashcards (and possibly making a paper bag finger puppet of the character in the story if I've time!)

3. well have fun making the finger puppet, and all the best for your interview.... I'm sure you'll let us know how you got on.
    I would be really interested if a HLTA interview is similar to a teaching job one, as I might have to go down that route as well.... Good luck!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    From everyone on here, Lara!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Good luck Lara! - thinking of you[​IMG] xx
    Pob lwc! - Can you guess which language? [​IMG]

6. Lara mfl 05

Easy one- Welsh! [​IMG]

7. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New commenter

Hi Lara, I haven't posted on this forum before but do nosy on from time to time and have seen how incredibly supportive and helpful you are to everyone. I've thought many times that any school would be lucky to have you, so like many others am keeping everything crossed for you!

8. Lara mfl 05

Thanks to everyone who's posted. Off for an early night, so as to be rested.
    Will let you all know what happens.

9. Lara mfl 05

Well, it's still nail-biting here too!
    In the original letter they said they'd have arrived at a decision by 3 o'clock and still no call!
    That could mean they're having a tough time deciding or it's going to be a 'Thank you but no thank you!'
    On the plus side, I arrived home to get an e-mail for an interview for the Maternity cover I've applied for and that would be a 'proper' (you know what I mean) teaching post. The HLTA post is teaching too but PPA cover throughout the school, so no 'class of my own'
    Will post as soon as I know!

10. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

It must be a tough call because if they had a decision by 3pm surely they would have called everyone by now. [​IMG]
    Glad you still sound positive - treat yourself to some chocolate-biting and save the nails!!

11. Thinking of you [​IMG]

12. Lara mfl 05

Well getting really 'bored!' waiting for that phone call now. Even keep checking my e-mails in case there was a problem with the phone!
    Good job I haven't any actual chocolate or I might have got my way through a whole giant bar by now!
    So if you don't want to be bored you can stop reading now. Just need to be 'doing something'.

It was a lovely school (I hadn't visited due to not being able to drive) and I really liked the Head's attitude and the children were on task and motivated. Chatted to a member of staff I knew from when I'd done supply the day he was interviewed, who's now been there 14 years and obviously likes it. Resources were fabulous for a Primary- they've even got trolleys of 'tablets' with docking stations!
    If I don't get it, it was valuable experience and fantastic just to be in a classroom and a school again, If nothing else it I enjoyed just being with a group of children again and I felt glad to get up this morning.
    Quite an 'easy-going' interview, much more so than a teaching one.Though I may have blown it as the first question was 'Tell us a bit about yourself' (probably good for NQTs to put them at their ease) but I was probably far too garrulous, going on about how passionate I was about teaching, what I could offer the school etc, so when I'd finished I was told I'd already answered questions 2 & 3!
    Also I 'blew' the question on 'safeguarding'! How would you interpret the isssue of safeguarding in your role here? (Mental note to REALLY look at this.) I'd recently been on a course, but all the information went out the window when I was asked it and I just couldn't work out how to interpret the info for an HLTA role. The obvious answer; to refer anything to the person in charge of safeguarding I didn't remember till I was in the car going home!)

13. I'm not bored at all - waiting to hear what happened!
    there's always AT LEAST one question where your mind goes a bit blank in my experience, and then you go home and suddenly think of the perfect answer. Like mine last time, how would I promote spirituality in the children - I only hope I get to answer that one again one day, as I know have a fantastic answer in my head :) ! Anyway, I will check again later on how it turned out.... and remember, you have another interview coming up, how exciting is that!

14. I read all of your post and can only sympathise with your situation.
    I HATE limbo land with a passion because it's hard not to do the 'I should have/ shouldn't have' frame of mind.
    Sounds as if day went really well and any HT worth their salt will recognise quality when they see it. [​IMG]

15. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

OK, I can't wait any longer.
    Give me the telephone number of the school and I'll phone them and find out what they're playing at!! [​IMG]

16. Lara mfl 05

Well I've just got the call, 'I haven't been successful!'
    Thanks to all posters ( and lurkers) who were rooting for me.
    The Head did say that I'd been up against a really good field of candidates this time, last time they didn't appoint anyone! And he did say that, although at interview I obviously knew what I was talking about, it was obvious I hadn't been in a classroom recently. Not quite sure how to take that?
    So now to start preparing for a Year 5 interview on Monday!

17. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

[​IMG]
    At least now you know. And now you have been in a classroom recently, so you'll nail it on Monday. Isn't Monday the teaching job as well? I think you were supposed to get this interview as a warm-up because Monday's job is the real job for you! [​IMG]

18. 'Schwamm drueber'! It's the Year 5 job you should get anyway! Will check back here on Monday - wishing you SO MUCH luck!

19. Lara mfl 05

That's my take on it too!

20. Lara mfl 05

Why 'thanks muchly!'
    SO IMPRESSED with your German! Means 'Forget it' for those who don't know German.